experienced ebayers - please comment

Huss

I want to purchase a Bose System on ebay, but the announcment was that you had to be approved to bid if you had no history.

As I've never bought before I duly sent a mail to the address shown only to receive the following. I personally think it looks dodgy (i've seen warnings on Western Union before) but I don't want to miss a bargain and it looks like he can't get the money until I've got and tested the goods. Any experienced ebayers' thoughts would be most appreciated,

The response I got to my mail reads as follows...

" I'm from Bari, Italy.We will use a safe way to be both sure and we will finish the deal in a secure way.

Look what I can do for you:

- you will make the transfer to my location but not to my name (you will use your best friends name and my address for example as receiver's name) so you can be sure that I will not pick up the money until you get the package; so you make a deposit at Western Union and you will give me the transfer's details (SENDER'S NAME AND ADDRESS, RECEIVER'S NAME, MTCN) so I can

check that the deposit was made. After I verify it I will send you the package immediately.

- only after you will receive the package and check it if it OK you will have to change the receiver's name of the transfer to my name so I can collect my money. So until you will have the package in your hands the money will be deposited on your best friend's name at Western Union Agency.

I think it is better to not inform Western Union that you will change the receivers name in a few days because it is possible they ask you to pay the fees twice (fees that are quite big for such an amount), also when you go to an Western Union office to make the transfer, please don't tell there the reason for you send the money because here in this country I must pay some additional taxes when I receive the funds.

Please say you send the money to your friends or to your partner.

My old buyers of course make the transfer at Western Union direct to my name which is easier and I will be happy if you can trust in me but because it is our first deal I proposed you this very safe and efficient method so you can only deposit the money first and after you get the

package to allowed me to cash it."

confused.gifconfused.gif

Anybody that accepts Western Union - stay clear. Anybody based OUTSIDE of the UK - stay clear. Anybody selling something that is too cheap to be true - stay clear. Anybody with fancy bollo** payment terms (like that above) stay clear.

Those who accept Paypal are usually OK. Check the feedback too (and sales)

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody that accepts Western Union - stay clear. Anybody based OUTSIDE of the UK - stay clear. Anybody selling something that is too cheap to be true - stay clear. Anybody with fancy bollo** payment terms (like that above) stay clear.

Those who accept Paypal are usually OK. Check the feedback too (and sales)

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - I've purchased several thing from Sellers based in HK and they have been amongst the quickest for delivery!

Best advice is to check Sellers Feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - I've purchased several thing from Sellers based in HK and they have been amongst the quickest for delivery!

Best advice is to check Sellers Feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that, have bought from outside the UK on a number of occasions and never expereinced a problem. Bought from the States and HK. As long as the feedback is good should be ok. It is also worth checking what items the feedback is for as some people actually sell worthless items to friends etc just to generate good feedback.

Have bought and sold to the US with no worries.

There was a post on TSN the other week regarding a brand new A4 S Line advertised on Ebay for around 9k. Obviously too good to be true. One of the guys made an enquiry and got a VERY similarly worded email back. My guess it could even be the same guy!

Feedback never lies. Also good to be extra nosey and check their what recent transactions were.

[ QUOTE ]

Feedback never lies. Also good to be extra nosey and check their what recent transactions were.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but you should still be wary in case that account has been hacked and being used by a scammer.

Simple rule of thumb with ebay, if something seems too good to be true then it probably is.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

if you must.. which you shouldnt .... use paypal ur gauranteed up2 £500 back.. no quiblles!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It appears that way, but there's some weirdness whereby you can only get that money if it's in their Paypal account. And if they're pulling a scam, it won't be.

I know someone who ordered a Camcorder via Ebay and Paypal and no camera, no money. So contacted Paypal who said "sorry, no money in his account to refund you with". Useless!!

So he contacted his credit card company who refunded him!

Guess the moral is, use a credit card (as well as all the checks above of course).