beeping noise from boot

Chrisg

OK this is a july 1999 quattro T Sport.

Wife opens garage then boot shuts boot and a loud beeping noise starts from the inside RH rear corner in the boot.

So car unlocked , drivers dorr still shut no key in ignition.

Started car up-- noise carries on.

Stop engine -- carries on

Take out key -- carries on

then just stops -- like by magic !!

This is a loud noise -- like a reversing warning on a truck.

Seems to be RH rear corner , close to the rear light - but behind all the carpet / trim w.h.y.

To avoid me being in the doghouse .... any ideas please

beeps from that area usually indicate something is up with the battery back up alarm.

many many posts on the TTforum about it. Search "beeps"

Im not sure the solution as there were many theories.

Some people have had the back up battery/alarm unit replaced.

1.8T Sport (at the time).

Sounds familiar.... when I opened the boot with the KEY.... (did not press the remote segments)and on opening the boot the beeping started.... It's the alarm). I was able to start the car and the sound continued and then shut off after a very short time.

When I got home I locked the car in the usual way... with the remote and all locked up. I then tried the key in the bootlock slot again, and the beeping started. I shut the boot and relocked the car with the remote. Silence. Tried opening the car with the remote, and then the boot before opening the doors.... silence! All was OK.

It says in the book (somwhere!) that if you open the boot with the KEY without first disabling the alarm/immobilser with the remote, the alarm will sound.

Perhaps this is what happened to you???

D.

You are correct... you CAN open the boot only with the middle section of the remote control - without triggering the alarm. However, if you open the boot with the key in the slot when the car has been previously locked and immobilised with the remote control (top section of key)- then the alarm will sound.... I agree it is a pathetic sound, and likely to be ignored...!

The handbook describes many ways of locking and unlocking the car with the remote (all parts) and with the key section... number of turns, clockwise, anticlockwise etc.... all a bit confusing and too clever by half!!

Happy New Year!

D.

Well this morning she gets to garage ( lock-up in cul de sack opposite our house)and as she enters garages, about 16 or so, she can hear this beep beep beep................

Yes guess what. No idea how long it had been going . Stopped as she unlocked the car.....

Might be forced to get my local independent to have a look - and disconnect the siren bit !!

Chris, I've never experienced this problem, but I do understand that it is indicative of a low state of charge on the backup battery within the alarm. It would appear that there is a strong correlation between this and a poor state of charge of the main car battery - an ageing battery, short journeys, cold/dark mornings and evenings all contribute.

Try taking the car on a long daylight run, or putting it on a mains charger for a while ... or replace the main battery!

I'm guessing that the alarm system is designed not to draw on the main car battery when the voltage gets below a certain threshold.

Thanks Peter

Would Vagcom show up anything? I can easily pop over !!!

Original battery, why it's only 6 1/2 years old !

Except for my old 80 Sport this is one of the oldest cars we have owned for 20 years, and the 80 is only on battery number three !

I gathered from the TTForum ( thanks PaulS3 )that it appears to be a backup battery issue. The battery is not replaceable - only the whole alarm unit. Perhaps I can just disconnect the alarm unit as it is fairly useless anyway!

If I fit a new main battery is there any problem with unsetting any settings ( yes I have the radio code !)

The alarm has no fault logging capability, but other modules (eg Nav unit) in the car may record instances of the voltage falling below a certain threshold.

My guess is that the main battery won't be lasting much longer, so why not replace it now and save the hassle when the car won't start (you know who'll get the blame the day it fails!)?

You could disconnect the alarm - the bleeping can only last as long as the backup battery can sustain it!

Settings lost when the battery is changed: radio code and current DIS values, window one press up/down. Can't think of anything else.

[ QUOTE ]

The alarm has no fault logging capability, but

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had the assist guys out to me a few years back, flat battery after I left the interior lamps on, they hooked up their tablet PC as check, as I leaned over, it had listed events for the alarm including when last activated, where ie boot and battery readouts for low volts...that was on B5 ...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The alarm has no fault logging capability, but

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had the assist guys out to me a few years back, flat battery after I left the interior lamps on, they hooked up their tablet PC as check, as I leaned over, it had listed events for the alarm including when last activated, where ie boot and battery readouts for low volts...that was on B5 ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops! blush.gif

Of course it does - the alarm facilities are split between the other controllers: Central Locking, and Interior Monitor, Central Convenience etc. ... depending on car model. However, I've never seen anything listed for the backup battery.

So, yes Chris - if you want to come over Lower Earley direction, I can check the fault codes for you!

Thanks Peter, I'll PM you.

It may help to eliminate a couple of items.

Last night she told me that as she earned good money didn't I think a new battery was a good idea anyway , just in case it let her down at work one dark snowy january evening frown.gif

Yes dear smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It's a testament to the A4 alarm that it can be mistaken for a humble beep - my bedside alarm clock is louder then my car's alarm suicide.gif

Has anone retrofitted a different siren to the OEM alarm?

[/ QUOTE ]

About a year ago someone broke into my A4 while it was on my drive - the feeble beeping from the alarm was so quiet (we were in the lounge less than 10 feet from the car, but the other side of a double glazed window) that we thought it was the microwave in the kitchen. fekr.gif

I've not been able to find anyone who can fit a louder siren - the Audi one has 3 connections (looks like ground, power and enable), but if anyone turns up anything then count me in! smlove2.gif

The latest situation

Peterb did a VAGCOM for me

The codes were:

Address 35: Centr. Locks

Part No: 8D0 862 257 E

Component: CV-Pump, Alarm, RC D13

Coding: 13130

Shop #: WSC 06325

3 Faults Found:

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)

76-10 - Terminal 30 missing - Intermittent

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)

77-00 - Internal Supply Voltage

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)

49-00 - No Communications

Main battery was also a bit on the low side.

Looks like a weak battery , original 6 1/2 years old so I've been made to buy a new one ! Too embarrassing she said..... spend the £45...

Will fit over the weekend and see what happens.