BMW 535D - first thoughts

PeterS

OK, after 1,000 miles in the 535d I thought I’d put a quick review together for those who are interested. Just to set the scene, I ordered the car in September last year for February 2006 delivery as that’s when my company car goes back. My company car is a 525d Sport Touring, which helped considerably when choosing the spec of my 535d. I wanted out of the company car as the cost, relative to my mileage now, is stupid. It goes back next month.

The 535d was actually built at the end of November, and I ended up taking delivery in December because I’m impatient grin.gif

Why a 5? I’d had an E class estate a couple of years ago (We needed the space at the time) which was big, and felt big. The 5 is a little smaller, but is much more ‘chuck-able’, and yet still has more than enough space in the cabin for passengers. Why a Touring? Simple really; I prefer the looks. The rear seats will probably never be folded blush.gif

My time with the 525d though helped with choosing my ideal spec for my new car. The 525d is a nice car to drive, great for cruising, swift enough when pushed but a little breathless at the top, like most diesels. I liked the car though, so I though I’d try the 530d and the 535d.

After test driving the 535d I had to have one FIREdevil.gif

What I liked about it was the fact that it just keeps pulling…and pulling. There was none of the usual diesel driving experience of nothing…not much happening …boost – loads of acceleration – oops all gone! It’s a bit of a cliché I know, but the way it keeps reving is very petrol like, but with buckets more torque. Redline is still around 5k rpm though, and it still has the low rumble of a diesel. It really is a very swift car in day to day use. I daren’t think what a remapped one feels like…

The Sport package (M body kit, wheels and lots of little M badges) looks great and really improves the look of the car IMO but, and it’s a pretty big but for me, on the A and B roads round here it’s just too hard. The combination of ‘M Sports’ suspension, 18” low profiles and run flat tyres makes the car skip all over the road. You can’t delete the M suspension from the Sports pack, so I opted for the SE. The standard wheels (17”) look fine to me, so I didn’t bother upgrading; though I may look to do so when new tyre time comes along, as I’m considering ditching the runflats.

The only options I added were the Media package (Pro satnav, Bluetooth, 6 disc changer, BMW Assist) which is a no-brainer as it’s only £250 or so more than satnav by itself, the visibility pack (bi-xenons and adaptive headlights), leather and floor mats. Yes, you might be spending north of £40k, but mats are extra confused.gif Metallic paint however is standard.

So, 1000 miles in it’s all I hoped it would be. Swift, devastatingly so at times I think. Fun – I just love the way it accelerates, and the fact that it feels like a much smaller car. Diesel estate cars shouldn’t be this good! ECLIPSe.gif Economical (ish) - on a decent length journey with cruising at 80ish it will average 34mpg. Stop/start traffic will knock this back to high 20’s. Making progress (ahem) on my 10 mile journey to work along A and B roads with a reasonable number of roundabouts can easily push this to very low 20’s.

Nothing’s gone wrong yet, though there is a slight hesitation at low revs sometimes; if it continues I’ll have the dealer look at it as I don’t remember it from the test drive. BMW Assist took ages to set up; I only did it as it’s free for 6 months. Don’t use it in the 525d, won’t renew the subscription after the 6 month trial period in the 535d

That’s about it so far… Pictures to follow, once the combination of location, daylight and clean car come together wink.gif

Peter

Nothing againts the 3.0d max_b - before the 525d was delivered I had a 330d (E46) for a few months, which was a great car. The 530d is also a really good car, but it doesn't have the same urge all the way to the red-line that the 535d has. One very big thing in the 530d's favour is that it is available with a manual 'box though (what it does to residuals is another question). 535d is auto only, which suits me but not all...

Peter

[ QUOTE ]

the 535d seems get 169144-ok.gif nearly all of the time, what was it that put you off the 530d? remembering the 3.0d was the unit that all raved about? (apart from the obvious increase in power?)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same unit mate, just with another turbo strapped on for good measure!! 169144-ok.gif

cheers guys

have the offer of a 530d SE manual which seems tempting but not sure whether to go for it or not, preference would naturally be the sport spec without question, just wasnt sure of the combo of the manual on the 'old' 3.0d engine in SE spec confused.gif

looks like I may pass!

The 3.0d is not an old engine as such; it's still offered and is a cracking car 169144-ok.gif

The manual version will be much more economical (535d is auto only), and probably a more involving drive. As for SE vs Sport, there's no doubt the the Sport looks the business, but the ride is fairly busy. I'd definitely recommend a drive in the SE to see if it suits you, rather than dismiss it straight away.

Peter

Good little review. Keep the info coming. Am sure there will be people interested.

I know what you mean with the ride on the Sport. But lots of people care more about the looks than the ride that they have to be subjected to every day. Daft I know but people worry more about image these days. smashfreakB.gif

Quite fancy the updated 2.5d in a 3 series as a quick ish but no 4cylinder diesel. I just don't get the poor refinement on the 4 cylinder diesels... but a 2.5 6, not that could be interesting in a 3 series. cool.gif

I was at the 3 series launch and had a good long chat with the person that manages the whole launch cycle for the UK. The car has been avaliable in other markets.. the 325d that is and they are hoping to loby to get it here as well, sometime mid this year was his wink wink guess. 169144-ok.gif

MAx, I agree, I think you should pass on that one !!! grin.gif

It would not be your style at all.

However the 3.0d is a cracking engine - has a lot of pull - allows you to waft along quite effortlessly ! But stick with an Steptronic box and Sports spec FIREdevil.gif

Although the 535d has the same 3.0l engine it has sequential turbo chargers - so there is no turbo lag and strong pull throughout the range - having driven both the latter is significantly better, for the same reasons described by PeterS.

Anyway Happy New Year beerchug.gif

Brummie 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the weather has improved and I've actually cleaned the car for the first time, so as promised a few weeks ago, here are a few pictures. Please bear with me as (a) I'm no photographer, (b) the pictures were taken on my mobile as the camera battery was flat and © I'm hopeless at this web uploading type stuff confused.gif

post-539-137914341939_thumb.jpg

Very nice Peter.

The Nav and PDC is identical to that in my 6, and you've done well to get the latest software on yours because it was only released in the last few months of 2005. That's credit to your dealership because the car wont have come with that installed - they've done a free upgrade for you.

The perspective view is fantastic isn't it!

Agreed, it is good. TBH I was expecting it though, as a had an E90 330i for a few weeks in the summer with professional nav, and it had perspective view included as well. I didn't know there was any other sort! Though now you mention it, the pdc in my company 525d Sport had a similar display to the current one, but worked in red/amber/green blocks rather than the infinitely variable radar type effect on the 535d confused.gif All software I guess...

Peter

Yes, Perspective came in on the E90's but wasn't spread to other models in the range until Q3/4 of 2005. I know for certain that all 2005 cars shipped with the old system and dealers can charge for the software load if they want.

I don't think they'd be wise too though, and the new software is a huge improvement.