Finance the car ...

RCUK

I've sorted out some finance for my car (collect March 3rd!) through Alliance and Leicester - but the APR is 7.9% which is far to high for my liking.

I was thinking of approaching the dealer to see what they would do re APR but thought id get an idea of what you guys have been offered.

Never had probs getting finance before, but just got married and i think the wife has wiped out my good credit rating a tad.

I once negotiated a good APR with BMW (7.5%) mainly because of the type of deal on offer (balloon payment). Although you might save a few quid going with a bank, they might not offer you a finance package that suits.

That said, spreading the payments out for longer would have achieved the same result. Always look at the monthly payments and the overall amount to pay back as the true indication of the loan. The overall cost of a 10,000 bank loan might only be marginally more over 7 years than a 10,000 VW loan over 5 years.

if you do take out a loan then always try to get one that allows you to overpay without penalty.

This means that if you can afford to repay extra cash every now and then, you are offsetting the depreciation of the car against the extra interest you are repaying on the loan.

It also has the added benefit of reducing the total interest you repay, much like overpaying on a mortgage.

169144-ok.gif

Got my GTi in April last year, was going to shop around with other dealers, but snapped my local dealers hand off when he offered me 0% (guess I was just lucky). Had the money from selling my house so put it in a high interest account at 5.5%. Will make nearly £1.5k over 2 years.