Selling a remapped car back to dealer as part ex.

chrisfrances

Beginning of 2003 my 190 A3 T Sport was traded and I told the dealer. They were not overly keen but as soon as I said I can get it put back they were fine - 'yes please' and they asked for the receipt as well !

Only downside was having booked the time AmD kept me waiting for almost two hours- and it was my lunch hour ! frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Don't see any need for telling them..

[/ QUOTE ]

They sell on, possibly unaware, and then there's an accident ?

Suddenly there's an uninsured car.......

If you bought a car with a 'fault' you'd presumably expect to be told or for it to be put right? It's no different, it's not as it came out of the factory.

You have to tell them, for the reason Chris gives, however, insurance comapanies usually ask if you know of any modifications made to the vehicle.

It is up to you if you tell them or not, but you can be done and they can claim any losses against you if there is any comeback at a later date.

I disagree Red.. I have always put mine back to standard when selling privately, but when selling to a stealer left it on. I haven't always told them either, but their test drive of the vehicle should reveal all.

If they dont ask about modifications you are under no obligation to tell them. If it ever went to court I am sure with the stealers being experts, I am sure they would be expected to identify something was different about the car when they conducted their examination 169144-ok.gif

After all if they don't drive enough cars to work out whether its standard or not then who will smashfreakB.gif

The key is to write out a delivery note/invoice when the car is sold with the words SOLD AS SEEN written on it. Get them to countersign 169144-ok.gif

"Sold As Seen" plus written back-up should certainly cover your arse. I guess that if the stealer unknowingly sells on a re-mapped car under his "Approved" banner, then he is taking on responsibility but what happens in a courtroom when presented by professionals as technicalities is anyone's guess!

Either way I personally think there is a moral responsibility to disclose something as fundamental as a re-map. I would put it back to standard first and then there's nothing to be concerned about. Whoever buys my GTI eventually (I can't even conceive of selling!) will have the standard parts I have replaced included in the sale and the rest is up to them.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I got flamed for suggesting that I could get a remap & not declare it by using the 'I didn't know it was on the car defence' - as apparently I'd (probably) still be uninsured.

IMO, most people wouldn't know if a car had been remapped. E.g. I only test drove one S3 before I bought it, and I didn't even know about remapping at the time. If she'd been done, and I didn't kow & I killed someone & it was found that she'd been remapped, then I'd be liable.

IMO, you've gotta disclose what history the car has.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They sell on, possibly unaware, and then there's an accident ?

Suddenly there's an uninsured car.......

If you bought a car with a 'fault' you'd presumably expect to be told or for it to be put right? It's no different, it's not as it came out of the factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

God way over the top: they never check ecu's I can tell ya, only slight chance on the boy racer cars. coffee.gif