BMW 850i

danksy

Funnily enough I was looking at a few 635CSi's with the thought of buying a cheap on as a bit of a project (until I realised how they've actually gone UP in price quite a bit since I last looked at them) and then turned my eye towards the 850.

Very useful sites:

http://www.e31.net/

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html

Make sure you find one thats been well looked after and it should be good. If you can find a 850CSi (5.6 litre S70 engine instead of the 5.0 M70 in the 850i) featuring the same engine found its way (in 48 valve and highly fettled form) into the McLaren F1 shocked.gif

I love 840 / 850's. Fuel consumption put me off though (doing 30k pa at the mo). Read somewhere that the 850 can wear the cylinder bores (huge cost) if it overheats or something. Fantastic value now, still look great, solid, quick, ermmmmm .... might have a quick look in Autotrader myself actually ! The 850 is a pig to work on, no space.

I know a lot of people do, but I've never liked them.

As Mollox says, complete chest wig chariot. Ungainly overhangs, quasi Knightrider looks and one of the less nice dash layouts at a time when BMW had it spot on on their other models.

It's a 750i but compromised everywhere, for more money.

Now a classic 6 Series... smlove2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hold on, I'm taking the piss but I quite like them wink.gif

Was the beefed up one called Csi or Ci? I liked that even more 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, most people do, it must be just me.

It's odd, I usually prefer coupes to saloons. I'd sooner have a CLK than an E Class for example. But the 8 Series has always looked wrong to me.

I'm sure it's a fab car though.

If I were buying a German coupe of that era it'd be a Porsche 944 or 968 I think.

My mate has one. In Calyspso Red. Only problem, is, the windscreen wiper motor has a proble. Put the fuse in, and the battery flattens itself.

His is the 850, and he gets about 26mpg on a run. He has also just had the Butterfly Valves remade for the intake.

Serious flying machine.

And he is selling his, as he is off to Spain!