GTI MK5 is not the fastest. OFFICIAL!

MOSE

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never mentioned 5.8.

EVO magazine figured an E46 330i Sport manual saloon at 0-60 in 5.9 secs.

Which simply proves that in some cases, the manufacturer's figure isn't the fastest you can possibly do it. They also once figured a '98 Impreza Turbo at 5.5 secs, 0.9 quicker than Subaru's figure at the time. More recently, they figured a manual Mk5 Golf GTI at 6.7, half a second quicker than VW's figure.

No nonsense, just the slight differences you can get with figuring to 60mph insted of 100km/h, only one-up on a reasonably grippy track.

jump.gif

[scouse accent]Calm down!!![/scouse accent]

I'll let you off - I had mentioned 5.9 so I thought you might've had some finger trouble (must be all that spanking it...).

I really can't be arsed reading from the start - I'd much rather jump to conclusions from halfway through!

P.S. I wish the world would stop revolving around me to be honest - it's making me dizzy... tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

jump.gif

[scouse accent]Calm down!!![/scouse accent]

I'll let you off - I had mentioned 5.9 so I thought you might've had some finger trouble (must be all that spanking it...).

I really can't be arsed reading from the start - I'd much rather jump to conclusions from halfway through!

P.S. I wish the world would stop revolving around me to be honest - it's making me dizzy... tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The gamble paid off, just knew you would take the "could'nt be arsed to read the thread from start to finnish" articale 5.3a ammendment 7b of the Tyresmokers statutory rights act znaika.giftongue.gif

As you pointed out you were completely mistaken about finger pointing. Digress by all means, but you only won an opinion/argument with yourself by your own admission (hmmm tempted to imply the similarity to ****ing, and therefore a ****er, but I won’t). grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have 325i and I'm looking to get a GTI.

And, I'm here to tell you that in a handling contest, which is what I was responding to (might want to take read at the thread first), the 325i, at least with the sport suspension, would "destroy" the GTI. I used the word "destroy" as it was in the comments I was responding to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a 3 series will destroy a GTI handling wise. I've driven a 320 and I get use of an M3 CSL, I'd only say that the CSL is the better handling...

[ QUOTE ]

It's not the fastest around the twisties, especially compared to a BMW with RWD, but it's fun non the less.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you still think a 325 will beat a GTI round the twisties just because it's RWD?

[ QUOTE ]

The GTI in the US is higher due to bumper regs not because driving enthusiasts want softer cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's due to higher bumper regs, sorry if I made it sound like it was a general market "thing". However American cars do typically feature softer suspension than European cars and not always for reasons of regs. Just compare a Ford Mondeo to a Crown Victoria. Similar cars, similar intended market placement, yet very different suspension set up.

[ QUOTE ]

BMW makes the BEST suspension in everyday performance vehicles I've ever driven. They blend handling along with ride control. That is part of why it is a drivers car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it's very good, but I find that BMW's ride very firmly.

[ QUOTE ]

The GTI is wonderful as well and much better than previous models in terms of suspension tuning. Yet, it's still not as good as a 3 series with sport suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask why you're buying a GTI? If the 325 is much quicker, better handling etc etc etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, American made cars are generally made to ride softer, but then, the market was there for smooth riding cars vs. sharper handling.

We have an extensive road and highway system here in the US and driving for long distances used to be a national past time. Thus, a smooth ride was wanted over firmer and sharper handling. Of course, that has changed over the years, and many enthuiasts now prefer a better handling setup, and that typically translates to firmer rides.

So, when a manufacturer wants to build a car that handles well and can provide a great ride, the black magic of suspension tuning is in full play.

In my experinece BMW hits that mark more often than most. Audi, for example have a very nice highway ride, but when it comes to corner carving the damping is a bit firm and not as compliant as a 3 series.

American car manufactures have been some of the worst in designing "sport" supsensions. They overdamp the whole setup and in so doing the suspension has no travel or ability to move and the ride becomes hoppy and choppy on straight roads with bumps and if you are in a turn and encounter rough road the suspension runs out of travel and the wheels simply go skittish around the turns and thus you have no grip. The US makers are getting much better. The CTS from Cadillac is showing promise for the US automakers.

I don't think the 3 series will beat the GTI around the twisties simply because of RWD, that would be an oversimplification. It will beat the GTI due to it's better overall balanced suspension and ability to use it's engine output to actually push the car along as opposed to FWD and it's lack of grip coming out of corners especially with now LSD.

I've driven the GTI and it's a sweet ride and may come close to my E46 325i.

However, the new E90 is better than my E46 and it has more power. If I were a betting man, I'd take the 3 series over the GTI in the twisties with no reservations. But, that's not just because the 3 is RWD.

Take the former Mushtang. It was RWD. Was it better than the GTI?

NO. My buddy has a 2000 Mushtang GT and it's handling/ride is awful, numb steering, poor pedal placement, and handling not to be confused with "accurate". In that comparison, the RWD Mushtang doesn't satisfy as the FWD GTI or Civic Si. A properly setup FWD can be more fun and faster in the twisty bits compared to a badly setup RWD.

In my view it comes down to tuning that makes all the difference.

However, overall RWD holds certain advantages in dry weather handling that when two equally well setup cars are compared and one is FWD and one RWD, my initial impression is that the RWD will be faster.

Of course, one had to drive each before being sure. In this case my 325i sport has the handling advantage to the GTI.

Now, to the point of why would I want a GTI to getting the new 325i?

First, I didn't say the 325i was "much" quicker. It isn't. The new 325i and GTI are a drivers race as both have put up some very quick numbers.

For me, I prefer overall performance and balance to simply straight line accel.

If I had wanted to trounce the majority of car out there I would get a

Pontiac GTO with the 6 liter 400hp V8. It'a fine handling car as well and reminds me of a 8/10ths M3 in terms of overall handling/ride balance.

But, the GTI sucks fuel and get's less than 18mpg. Not good.

The GTI fits me well. That's very important to me. I have to feel comfortable to want a car and the GTI has excellent head, leg, and shoulder room, and I love the seats. The steering wheels feels nice and the relationship of all the driving controls is setup quite nicely. The brake pedal sits a bit high though, but that's a minor thing.

Also, I've always had a thing for turbo engines. I love the way they sound and I love how modifiying them can give big results.

Overall, the GTI gives great power, modibility, interior comfort and build refinement. On top of that it gives awesome MPG economy and a price that's about $10k (US) less than a 325i.

Sure, I can afford the 325i, but why when I can get all the fun and save $10k in the process.

I buy cars for my enjoyment not to impress others.

Yes, I do feel the 325i would handle better than the GTI in the twisties, but the GTI would give me as much fun considering that I don't push the limits on public roads as I used to, and the GTI has a high level of capability before it's breached.

So, there are a lot of reason why I want the GTI over the 3 series.

TT

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The US 325i with the 3.0 rates at 215hp and in proper manual form has done 0-60 in 6.1. That's pretty darn quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well according to the BMW US website, the 325 pulls 60 in 6.7 seconds (manual) which is exactly the same as the DSG GTI. As for handling, my Coupe sport was simply incredible and does shame my GTI... but as for destroying a GTI round the twisties... I certainly wouldn't want to meet one if i was in a 325ci UHOH7.GIF

I can only comment based on experience. I've owned many BM's and now a GTI, A 330 would be a challenge, a 325... SMOKE6.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

BMW, as most manufacturers, post numbers that can be achieved on a daily basis by the average driver. That is why those numbers are not indicative of actualy performance for performance drivers.

The E46 325 and 330 had a much bigger spread in straight line performance.

However, when both equipped with sport suspensions the overall handling was near identical with the overall speed nod given to the 330 due to it's more powerful engine.

The E90 changes things. IN the US the 325 and 330 both use the same 3.0 engine. The 330 3.0 uses a better intake system and is in a higher state of tune. However, initial testing has shown that the 325 and 330 manuals are much closer in performance than before.

The comparison, however, is between the GTI and 325i in terms of overall handling and how fast they are in that regard. Straight line performance is one thing, and it's used too much in my view especially in the US.

I don't like Nascar, which may as well be one long straight race. I prefer the overall speed of a car as it covers the road going left and right and braking and accelerating. When that happens straight line performance is not a good judge of overall capability.

My experience is that my E46 325i sport is a better handler than the current GTI. But, that in no way is given to negate the GTI's greatness.

I just had to say it because sometimes people get carried away with how "great" their car is. I laugh on the BMW lists when people come on talking about how "slow" a Evo8 cause they just "smoked" one in their 330Ci. Yeah right. And, when a 3 series loses, it's the same tired, "yeah, but my 3 will smoke it in the twisties." Really? Your 330i will smoke an Evo8 in the twisties?

See, it's comments like that that make me laugh. Just buy the car that makes you happy and enjoy it. I know the GTI will get smoked by even a

Mits Eclipse in a straight on race. But, do I go and get the Eclipse instead?

I buy the car that makes me happy at the time and makes my everyday commute and weekends fun. This time around that seems to be the GTI, no excuses.

TT

[ QUOTE ]

The 330 doing a 0-60 from 5.8 nonsence pengy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That may have been the performance package 330i of the E46 variety.

BMW offered that car in the US. It has 10hp more than the standard 330i and a bit more torque between 10-15lb ft. The accel times were to be .5 sec. quicker. However, as most know 10hp won't get that for you.

What the performance package had was an extensive interior/exterior beauty upgrade, and what makde it quicker was shorter gearing and final drive to help acceleration. Yes, it was one very quick 330i. I believe the best time I saw in publication was 5.7 0-60.

TT