Mk5 R32 exclusivity going further down the pan...

Mook

Not that the Mk5 was ever marketed by VW as a limited run like the MK4 R32, but I just picked up on this thread in the Golf GTI forum:

Recaros are now an option on the Mk5 GTI...

Not that I needed any more convincing to keep hold of the Mk4 R32, but that's just about nailed it for me. Limited run Mk5 for me or nothing I'm afraid. Who said R36? UHOH7.GIF

Besides, I'm far too attached to my R for now. Something to do with the way the sun catches the painwork when it's just been washed. Oh, and the fact that it still goes like stink... wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Not that the Mk5 was ever marketed by VW as a limited run like the MK4 R32, but I just picked up on this thread in the Golf GTI forum:

Recaros are now an option on the Mk5 GTI...

Not that I needed any more convincing to keep hold of the Mk4 R32, but that's just about nailed it for me. Limited run Mk5 for me or nothing I'm afraid. Who said R36? UHOH7.GIF

Besides, I'm far too attached to my R for now. Something to do with the way the sun catches the painwork when it's just been washed. Oh, and the fact that it still goes like stink... wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a 5 door MK5 R32 and have side airbags on your recaro's then your still "exclusive" 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Tspar

Hasn't the GTI got a V6 and 4WD missing too tongue.gif

I wouldn't be too worried about the R not having Recaros. Don't think everyone has ordered them with the R anyway.

And if they don't make the R36 those who love their MK4's will be hanging on to them much longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not the one worried mate, Mook was the one moaning !!. To be honest i couldnt care less about the GTI having the same seats as the new R32. My MK4 is one of the "Limited edition" R32's and it wont be traded in for a MK5 anytime soon as im positive that it will be replaced by a MK5 R36 in a year or so's time. If the 36 doesnt appear then ill still be driving a limited edition car. All's rosey up here in sunny Hull ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If you have a 5 door MK5 R32 and have side airbags on your recaro's then your still "exclusive" 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i'd be right in saying the only R32 exclusive option is the oem rear tints .... so guess mines exclusive then if it ever bloody arrives FIREdevil.gifjump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i'd be right in saying the only R32 exclusive option is the oem rear tints .... so guess mines exclusive then if it ever bloody arrives FIREdevil.gifjump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think someone once said "Patience is a virtue" but obviously that doesnt apply when waiting for a new R32 tongue.gif

Good spot RS, but that's not my point 169144-ok.gif

One of the single most attractive things about the Mk4 which led me to buying one over the A3 3.2Q was the fact that there were very few of them around - plus the fact that it can be tuned a shed load more than the A3.

I don't shout about having an "exclusive" car, but, IMO, VW are playing a very clever trick in this. The perception in the market (with the exception of members of forums like TsN) is that the Mk5 is a pretty exclusive car.

Roll on an exclusive Mk5 before the Mk6 is released, regardless of the size of the engine in it... tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The perception in the market (with the exception of members of forums like TsN) is that the Mk5 is a pretty exclusive car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think part of that is because of the current supposed "waiting list" - but real exclusivity is surely when you cannot get any of a certain car for a good few years. There are MkV's sitting in dealers (albeit some are overpriced), so there is no way that this car is exclusive.

And to be fair I'm not sure any Golf is really. Iconic maybe, but exclusive ? Not sure of the exact sales numbers for the MkIV, but thought I read that the original run of approx 2000 .:R's was then extended as it sold so well - so to a certain extent they were clever enough with the original MkIV brand to see when they were on to a good thing.

Both cars are 4motion 3.2 V6 Golf's with a branded .:R badge on at the end of the day. Some prefer one, some prefer the other - that's great, or we would all be dull as feck 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

but real exclusivity is surely when you cannot get any of a certain car for a good few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you're saying. To me, exclusivity is the fact that there are only a certain number of somthing, whether it's Mk4 R32s or anything else. The original Audi RS4 remains exclusive, simply because they made so few of them.

Agree about everyone's taste being different as well - it's interesting reading the differing interests just in the R32 forum between current or ex Mk4 R32 owners and the owners of the fantastic (but not so exclusive tongue.gif) Mk5 R32.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Out of interest, does anyone know if the automatic headlights (which switch themselves on when it gets dark) are available as standard on the R32?

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, my "not quite as exclusive as Mook's car grin.gif" MkV has them 169144-ok.gif

IMO the Golf in any guise is not an exclusive car. The exclusivity thing is only in the mind of the beholder.

They're a lovely car and not very commonly seen either. I'm aware they were originally only going to be a limited number made but let's be sensible, it's more or less a mass produced model. Surely nobody bought one with exclusivity in mind crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I dont care if its exclusive or not. All I am concerned with is it's a GREAT car, that'll do me 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thinkt this "exclusive" thing is being taken the wrong way. Exclusive is this It is a rollover tonight !! .

MK4 R32's were a limited edition model but not "exclusive". MK5 R32's are still (as was the MK4) "Top of the range" just not brought out as a limited edition model. Well thats my take on it anyway. As the one of the above posts states, they are both fantastic cars and thats all that counts. Works for me grin.gif