Paint Swirls

Fergy

Hi,

To remove swirls altogether then i am afraid you will need a machine polisher. There is one called the Porter Cable 7424 (just about to get one myself) and with the correct pads and cutting compounds you will see them disappear. Pop over to Detailingworld.co.uk and there is some very good advice on there about this exact subject. Good luck.

I would be VERY careful before using a machine on my paintwork. If you get the wrong type of pad or compound you will wreck your paint finish.

Paint swirls can be hidden but never removed completely without a respray.

Either Mothers or Meguiars 3 step (cleaner, polish then wax) is very effective at hiding them.

Best solution is prevention - only wash the car yourself, stay at LEAST a block away from commercial Car Washes, and use masses of water and soft touch when removing road grime, prior to washing with soap.

If you can't live with swirls buy a silver or similar colour which don't show them.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

thanks for the wise words Greg. Swirls were done by valet from dealer after a routine service. Difficult to prove though 123576-assfeck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be suprised, I had a problem where the car was clen by dealer and they used a dryiny blade and damaged the roof of my Golf a few years back, in the end they payed 4k for respray.

As Hudson has said pop along to www.detailingworld.co.uk as they have some great advice on all types of detailing, including swirl removal (yes it can be done without a respray).

Also don't worry about jet washing your car, it will not remove the wax. Unless yopu are using a jet wash in a garage which has TFR in the shampoo as the shampoo will remove the wax, not the high pressure water.

You can get rid of swirls, but it requires patience and a lot of elbow grease.

Did this for a mate of mine a while back when he was trying to sell his Passat.

You need something like the Swissol Medium strength cleaner or Meguairs Scratch X (which I used as it was cheaper).

A clay bar will help to remove any contaminants and prevent you scratching the car when you apply a little pressure with the cleaner fluid.

Wash it and dry it before starting with the cleaner and only ever apply it it straight lines - normally front to back of car, so horizontal along the sides. This can be a slow process and you should only do it at the most one panel at a time - even half a panel at a time on bigger bits like hte bonnet.

This strips everything off the pain, so you need to remember to then wax the car to protect the paint again.

My mate's car looked like new when finished, but it did take about four/five hours.

[ QUOTE ]

Tyneside?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Newcastle. Curly blonde hair.. heart.gif

She was nice. Little stuck up, but nice.

If you're referring to the sex pot behind the reception at Tyneside, i know EXACTLY who you mean.. lol, my GOD!

sekret.gif