The 'perfect fuel' for GTI if you can afford it!

I read in Auto Express that BP have just launched a new fuel rated at 102 octane - the same grade as used in formula 1 & WRC. It is available at selected forecourts priced at £2.45 a litre EEK2.GIF

I believe most of you guys use Shell Optimax. Anyone tried this in a GTI yet (can anyone afford to try it in a GTI yet crazy.gif)

On a seperate note I understand that BP now have similar cleaning detergents to those used in Shell Optimax in their BP Ultimate fuel wink.gif

I can't see the point of running on 103 RON fuel if it requires an engine conversion, loses bhp and costs £2.45 per litre (when you can find a pump!)....It seems very far from "perfect" to me. Just exactly what would be the gain ?

Does anyone know what fuel the full-race spec track Mk5 GTIs run on ?

Static03.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

We have BP 102 here and the comment from the VW Service Manager is that the warranty will be voided if there is engine trouble and you have 102 in your tank!

[/ QUOTE ]

....Exactly confirming what I thought and why I suggested getting comment from VW in my earlier post. Fuel management in the turbocharged FSI engine is sophisticated and critical and has been designed and developed around using 98 RON. Do we really think we know better than those professional design engineers at VAG ?

it's a bit irresponsible of BP to sell it IMO . It's kind of provoking fast driving/racing. I know that you could argue that 98RON does to, and its's down to the driver and they would drive like that anyway blah blah blah, but by upping the ante and introducing a racing fuel, they're just prompting the unsociable amongst us to road test at every opportunity. It has no other use other than for provoking outright illegal high speed driving in my opinion. Keep it on the track and don't give the boy racers another excuse BP! smashfreakB.gif

(just my opinion grin.gif)

Le Man, 102 RON fuel wouldn't make your GTI any faster at all and I'm not sure there is any tangible psychological effect???

As Robin says, its so beyond normal operating parameters that you'd need a map with sufficiently advanced timing to get any of the benefit. The benefit is only there if the car can advance the timing enough to take advantage - otherwise its wasted.

£2.42 a litre is ridiculous. If Millers Octane Booster's claims of +2 RON a tankful are to be believed, then I've been running 100ish RON for the last 5 years wink.gif

smile.gif

I think this is a product aimed at trackday drivers/sunday racers with sufficiently tweaked race machinery to make use of the more potent fuel?

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I buy 98 (exclusively Optimax) because of its beneficial additives to engine maintenance and longevity. It's only a few pence a litre more expensive anyway.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see that quote in a Shell Marketing document already grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

And really, we should be talking about it here wink.gif

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Thanks for the link but our discussion started off here as being specific to the GTI and its turbocharged FSI engine. I know you would like more GTI forum peeps to get out more but sometimes it's less time consuming to go with the flow here.

Very helpful/useful of you to post us the link here so we learn from that discussion as well 169144-ok.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Le Man, 102 RON fuel wouldn't make your GTI any faster at all

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but it won't stop the Saxo boys from street testing it at everyone elses expensense!

that was my point 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the £2.42 a litre will though. It would probably cost them more to fill the tank up than what the car is worth grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

And really, we should be talking about it here wink.gif

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Thanks for the link but our discussion started off here as being specific to the GTI and its turbocharged FSI engine. I know you would like more GTI forum peeps to get out more but sometimes it's less time consuming to go with the flow here.

Very helpful/useful of you to post us the link here so we learn from that discussion as well 169144-ok.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this again tongue.gif

Robin, I owe you a reply to your pm - I've not been around much this week and been rather busy but I will do that.

The essence of my point is, its less time consuming for GTi people to read it here, but what about the rest of TSN and the thousands of people who will join the site or the tens of thousands that just google in and don't join. Why would they look in the GTi forum for a post on fuel?

There isn't actually any bit of detail specific to the GTi here, the comments relate to high-output engines in general, particularly those that are remapped wink.gif

The joy's in the bigger picture - we dont' harp on about this issue for nothing smile.gif

The information from VW is incorrect. The car would run perfectly on 102 RON, there is only a lower limit, because of the way FSI technology works.

Plus I sincerely doubt that any VW regular technician would ever trace any problem back to fuel type, although they would like you to think they could!

Also, I think F1 engines run to different octains, depending upon the characteristics and altitude of the circuit, and the specific performance type they are looking for. But they have run at over 108 if my information is correct.

[ QUOTE ]

it's a bit irresponsible of BP to sell it IMO . It's kind of provoking fast driving/racing. I know that you could argue that 98RON does to, and its's down to the driver and they would drive like that anyway blah blah blah, but by upping the ante and introducing a racing fuel, they're just prompting the unsociable amongst us to road test at every opportunity. It has no other use other than for provoking outright illegal high speed driving in my opinion. Keep it on the track and don't give the boy racers another excuse BP! smashfreakB.gif

(just my opinion grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

You own a performance car, but you are anti performance fuel??? That's a contradiction in terms, if ever there was one.

I'm not disagreeing with you but as discussions invariably meander there's always going to be info buried in individual forums which might be viewed as more appropriate under General Cars for example. It works both ways....Not everyone in a specific car model forum wants to spend time in the other forums or even has interests in other car models. A Moderator posting a link, as you did, is extremely helpful and the best way to go imo - Although it's extra work for you Mods. It's not realistic to expect members to necessarily always start a topic in the most appropriate forum and I expect that the originator of this topic here sincerely thought it was an appropriate place.