ADVICE TO MKV OWNERS - CHECK FOR THIS

GTI_J

Had my baby 2 weeks now and well impressed with both the Oxford dealer and the car which has been faultless apart from a slight grating sound heard for a short while after switching off the engine. Okay, strange noises from FSI's are well documented on TSN but on investigating this today, got quite a shock!

The noise was coming from the nearside cooling fan blades catching on a pretty thick wiring loom that goes to the engine. Although protected by a hard plastic sleeve, the blades had cut through this, exposing all the cables inside.

By pure luck, discovered this before the fan munched its way through the insulation on the individual wires but clearly if they had, the consequences could have been well serious & a complete nightmare to repair.

The loom is firmly secured but it has bent slightly in the direction of the fan blades and it appears this nearside fan runs almost continuously when the climatronic is cooling the interior.

Off to a dealer in the morning for a permanent fix but just in case this is not a one-off, I advise TSN owners to check for the same problem, particularly on GTI’s built around week 13 (2006).

Still love this car

Nat

Hi Guys

Following the visit to the dealer today, they removed the loom at the engine end, confirmed that the insulation on the internal wires had not been damaged, taped it all up and reconnected it so that the bend know faces upwards and not in the direction of the fan blades. As a precaution they are informing Milton Keynes.

They made a good job of the repair but still feel very lucky to have caught this in time. Unfortunately, unable to get a pic until early next week but all you need to do is check that NO wiring loom runs close to either of the two fan motors/blades that sit between the radiator and the engine - with a cold engine, spin the fans by hand when you check. On my car it was the nearside fan that was catching a loom that runs from a cable clamp above the starter motor solenoid to a clamp on the bodywork between the battery and the nearside headlight.

Its possible newer GTI's are using a different fan casing or routing for the loom because the dealer had not come across the problem before. DSG cars are likely to be different anyway.

Hope no one has the same prob.

Nat

Yes Snoopy's fears are cogent and correct

This "repair" may well hold together for now, but in the winter electrical tape glue will degrade with the heat then cold and vibration from the engine bay. It is likely to come undone with time and as such may well contribute to new damage in time - possibly outside the warranty period.

If you try and sell the car now, people will see the temporary nature of this repair and may not want your car.

At least braiding over it will hide it and reduce the risks from flailing old electrical tape....

I would be seeking a proper repair. If in doubt get an opinion from another garage or engineer and then go back to them or get it repaired properly elsewhere and ask them to reimburse the cost..... As a temporary measure what they've done is fine, but for long term - 4 years plus - no way!

My experience with things like this is that the garage will always take the simple fix approach as vast majority of punters know no difference and therefore say nothing. Then there are TSN members who a different breed altogether and do know best! You will need to go back to the garage a second or maybe third time and insist that they di a proper job.... even to the extent of ordering in a new wiring loom and you leaving the car in to get it replaced. Ordering the loom will I think take weeks as AFAIK looms are only available on special order once car is verified etc - think this is to stop "dishonest people" ordering looms with the intent of maybe fiddling the car - this I recall from one of the Irish lads on here who had his wiring rightly messed up by scum trying to steal the car.

Anyway, head back to the garage - you paid enough for the car so don't accept a quick fix job.

Paddy

The legal situation is that you are entitled to have the car put back into the position that it was before the incident occurred.

Basically this means that all this "crud" of black tape is only a temporary patch, and what you are legally entitled to is for replacement parts to be fitted.

DO NOT accept this cheap and cheerful temporary fix (saving the problem up for another day) and insist on your rights under the guarantee to replacement parts and to make it like it should have been at new.......

Your options include Trading Standards/Citizens Advice/Legal Insurance/VW UK/ VOSA etc. Tell the dealer or VW UK that you will be contacting VOSA to seek an urgent recall due to the fire risk - and see what this does to their lack of interest 169144-ok.gif

I'm the guy who had to get complete wiring loom replaced.

Once cut it cannot be reconnected and the wiring loom needs to be purpose built as a special order - 4/5 week lead in time

8 weeks after the incident involving my car I'm expecting the car back this week

[ QUOTE ]

Once cut it cannot be reconnected and the wiring loom needs to be purpose built as a special order - 4/5 week lead in time

8 weeks after the incident involving my car I'm expecting the car back this week

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it can, good old bullet type connectors with the w/proof sleeving or better still heat shrink wrap over the offending repair.

The above being what I'd do if i needed to self harm my loom.

The reason for a complete new one is that righteously, the damage was warranted and a patch repair is not really in scope of a warranty. Hope you had a decent car off the dealers over the 8 weeks yours was gone. 169144-ok.gif

If the loom is venerable to damage from the fan, VW should move it away and as a minimum provide mechanical protection. Copex (the bendy conduit) or spiral wrap and copious cable ties will be the way forward 169144-ok.gif

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GRGTI, how long did it take in the end ? Or still waiting ?