Modern sport cars and driving licences...

mmj

Quick post as I've gotta get ready for work...

I had to collect my manager yesterday as he had taken a boat down to Plymouth, so he said use my car as it'll be quicker than the van. Oh my God!!! Was it ever cool.gif New Golf GTi, Ludicrously fast to say the least (OK, so I've not driven many cars to compare it with) but honestly, a couple of times I looked at the speedo and was shocked to see what speed I was doing. It was so smooth and comfortable at speed, there felt little difference between speeding a little bit and licence losing territory blush.gif

You chaps/esses? with sporty modern cars, I cannot see how you keep your licences shocked.gif

The other thing I noticed is how that lovely 'solid/planted' feeling quickly disappears under breaking at warp speed, even gentle breaking... crazy.gif

I might have to tax the 'C' for the weekend though! I can cope with her! 169144-ok.gif

You get used to it, I was shocked at the power and torque the Alfa had compared to having the Peugeot for two years. After picking it from Bristol, I was glad the M5 doesn't have many speed camera's as high speeds felt as planted and secure as 70mph.

[ QUOTE ]

LOL

I suppose the novelty would wear off and you'd get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif yup, it is something you get used to - then you just want more and more FIREdevil.gif

shocked.gif My VX220 Turbo was fecking quick, then I got used to it, then took it to AmD, then it felt fast again - you could keep going in this cycle and I'm sure a lot of people do 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif yup, it is something you get used to - then you just want more and more FIREdevil.gif

shocked.gif My VX220 Turbo was fecking quick, then I got used to it, then took it to AmD, then it felt fast again - you could keep going in this cycle and I'm sure a lot of people do 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Speed is an addiction for which there is no cure 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The other thing I noticed is how that lovely 'solid/planted' feeling quickly disappears under breaking at warp speed, even gentle breaking... crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably is quite solid with the transportation blocks still wedged in the suspension... sekret.gif

It goes in cycles I believe. You buy a car which has greater performance and goes much faster, feels much better etc than your previous car. The acceleration, ride and massive grin on your face are in a different league to your previous car but after a while you get used to the differences. I know people with VX220 Turbos as Bazza mentioned and even Ferraris who are used to the performance and want something faster. The only cure is to buy a car that goes even faster, get used to that and buy an even more ridiculously quick car. At this rate we will all be driving V8 Caterhams 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speed is an addiction for which there is no cure 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The cure is more speed

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm surprised to hear you say that. Myself and three other GTI owning TSNers did a CarLimits course on Tuesday and we all were amazed how well the Mk5 GTI copes with hard braking in a corner (90 mph in my case) and that's with ESP Off. But some peeps on TSN are probably fed up with hearing some of us going on about how good this GTI is.

Not the quickest car on the road but certainly great fun to drive and a very practical allrounder.

Glad you enjoyed it 169144-ok.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably is quite solid with the transportation blocks still wedged in the suspension... sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tongue.gif PDI you say? pengy.gif

Anyhoo, back to earth with a bump. They've stolen my van for the weekend, so I had to bike.thumb.gif home. My bum now hurts...

And before you lot change my title, I'm quite happy with Pikey thank you coffee.gif

Also, with reference to the performance addiction. I prescribe driving a 1.0 litre for 6 months as a cure. Driving anything else would give you a real buzz after!!! So who's first to try out my experiment? ECLIPSe.gif

Anyone?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, with reference to the performance addiction. I prescribe driving a 1.0 litre for 6 months as a cure. Driving anything else would give you a real buzz after!!! So who's first to try out my experiment? ECLIPSe.gif

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be giving it a go for a week while I'm away, does that count smile.gif

Hi Robin,

I may have been travelling a little faster... UHOH7.GIF

Should have just said 'Rotate' and pull back on the column!

One niggle I had though, bit of a notchy box (ooh er) but you've got flappy paddle things on yours haven't you? It may have been that I didn't fine tune the seating position and wasn't fully disengaging the clutch? But I don't like messing with peoples seat adjustments as I hate it when mine is faffed with. NONO3.GIF

So, did you enjoy your training? Can you now clip the apex and pick up 15mph on the exit? laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I sometimes have to drive the Ford Courier diesel van for work and that is *far* slower than my old 1.2 litre Nova ever was, so that has the same effect smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if it's white! White vans are the quickest thing on the road!!! ices_blah.gif

I agree, even ten years ago, speed cameras were limited, cops were more inclined to give you a talking to, and you had to be very bad to face a ban.

Cars were fun, country roads and dual carridgeways were not crawling with traffic too.

As for slowing down, before leaving the UK I was driving like a mad thing, 100mph on the motorway was standard speed, and if anyone else was up for it, a decent three figure blast was a given.

Swapping to a 4x4 has really helped me slow down now. I now enjoy wafting down motorways at tops 80mph, country roads are 45mph, and 30mph zones are much slower. All because of the vehicle. It doesnt go fast, doesnt corner well, and stops like an oil tanker....

So, with the need to tow something, my desire for a sports car has gone out of the window and I am looking to get a Land Rover Defender TDI!

Then I can tow the boat I want, and go as fast as I can off shore where there are no cameras etc!!!

Still getting the A4 2.0T Avant through work as I still enjoy driving it hard, but reserve those sort of antics for Europe these days, particularly Germany and France where the cops are alot more forgiving still. The UK is not the place to speed anymore.......

(I also have three driving licenses at the moment! smile.gif169144-ok.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be giving it a go for a week while I'm away, does that count smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you want me to look after yours while you are away? grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I sometimes have to drive the Ford Courier diesel van for work and that is *far* slower than my old 1.2 litre Nova ever was, so that has the same effect smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if it's white! White vans are the quickest thing on the road!!! ices_blah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, the old Clio with 130k on the clock is sooo much faster than my boss's Porsche 911 Turbo grin.gif

The new Ford mini-transit things we've got are quick enough to make torque steer a real problem around town, but the old Courier vans are *dangerously* underpowered. Joining motorways in them was a real challenge.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, with reference to the performance addiction. I prescribe driving a 1.0 litre for 6 months as a cure. Driving anything else would give you a real buzz after!!! So who's first to try out my experiment? Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm. SAUER0421.GIF

Ian