iPod Interface

nordberg

Further to this post, can someone tell me what brand etc is recommended? Do Audi use a preferred brand when they delaer fit them? As I'm getting my airbag deactivation retrofitted, I figure it would be a good time to get the iPod interface fitted while the dash is all out etc.

Thanks,

Matt

If Audi fit them they have their own Audi ipod link connector type thing - the ipod has the Audi logo on it when it turns on if it is connected in the car. (quite cool!) I've got it fitted and its fab. Others have fitted the Dension link themselves but I couldn't be fussed with fitting it. ROLLEY~14.GIF

The Audi link allows you to play 5 playlists - so from the Head Unit it shows CDC 1-5 as playlists 1-5 - if you turn the car off and restart it always goes back to the playlist it was on but calls it 6 for some reason. You can flick through the songs on each list using the fwds and bwds buttons on the HU and also have the Scan function operating. It also works on a shuffle setting although the manual does not say this and you have to play about with it! You can have as many songs as you want on each playlist, but the head unit will only count up to 99, so if you have 100 songs + it starts showing them as 1 again. The Head Unit does not display tags which is a shame, but you can see the track name on the ipod.

The quality is great in mine and it was only about an hours job - cost from memory was £185 supply and fitted plus VAT (plus I got some freebies thrown in! grin.gif) I can't now drive the TT without the ipod! You lose the CD changer function - but mine was useless anyway. smashfreakB.gif

The dension works in exactly the same way as what Lottie has described above. It should cost about £100 and you can either fit yourself or pay about £30 to have it done.

I think you will find that Audi actually fit the dension or possibly blaupankt as do VW. They may not be branded as this but this is what they actually are.

I have the dension and have been happy with the sound but not having the tags is not ideal. beerchug.gif

No, no tags on my CD changer but I guess you only have 6 CDs to keep track of! You get used to the ipod - I make a playlist for new stuff I've just added or bought so I can find that relatively quickly, and then have playlists by type so I can choose what sort of thing I want to listen to. Suits me and i just bung it in the glovebox and take it out at night. grin.gif

I would go for the Audi unit as it is OEM and any probs covered by car warranty. Google for Dension forums and you will see many have had issues with support/warranty if you have problems with it.

Can't remember specifics as some time since my Audi interface was fitted but when I researched it there were several differences with the Dension unit, so I very much doubt that they are the same as stated elsewhere in this thread.

Cheers

I just fitted the Audi interface to my new A4 with the concert II radio. (NelsonA4Sline supplied it). Although it was fairly straightforward, you have to take the glove box out, which I thought might be a bit dodgy. If you do it yourself, remember NOT to unplug the block connector at the back of the glove box (like I did UHOH7.GIF) as this will activate the airbag warning lamp and this can only be reset by the dealer. The wiring for the back of the Concert radio is also a bit fiddly because you need to slot in about 10 separate pins on the loom - plus the instructions are a bit vague.

Got there in the end but the air was blue smashfreakB.gif

Best bet is to get the dealer to do it 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Bro didn't have to take glovebox out, he got it through a small hole at the back and, after 20 mins of cutting his hands to pieces, got the wire through!

I ahve the Concert2 as well - the colour coded pins was a pain!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a real good look at doing it that way but couldn't see a way through to the back of the glove box - no way, no how . Your bro must have been damn persistant notworthy.gif

If you buy the dension, you dont have to pin the connector up yourself as it uses a sort of piggy back through connector that has fly leads off to the dension controller.

Took me 15 mins all in last time I fitted it and that included fitting a dashmount bracket and removing the glovebox!. B7 does log a fault if you disconnect the loom to the glovebox, but it is not necessary, just rest it on your feet.