help buying a new car

Tomk

ok need some advice on a car, we currently have a freelander 2000 (w) 1.8 with 96k miles, now we are going to get something nice and economical and sensiable as its got to do a lot of miles so we have stuck on a Bora 130Bhp 6 speed TDI , now we have 8k cash and the freelander to 'change' i have managed to find 2 options and im not sure what to do..

have found a dealer with a 130 Highline 55' plate with 15k on it - said they would take the landrover + £8500 to change

OR have found a private 130 Sport 52 plate with 30k on it BUT its 8k and we sell the landrover and make what ever we do out of it, so i would hope we will get 2 - 3500 for the landrover but im just not sure what to do, im sure the value of either bora would plumet BUT we get a nearly new one with 2 years warrently and leather OR a 4 year old car thats 'cheaper' we are doing this as a money saving exercise and the car needs to do 30k miles a year what would you do ? really confused !

To be honest I wouldn't look at anything VW/Audi with your budget. Taking into account money towards the house would be better way to go I would look at an Astra.

My other half got an Astra Design 1.7CDti 100bhp just before christmas less than 12 months old for only £9500. Its a cracking car and certainly not second best to my Audi for quality. Its got part leather, rain sensing wipers, auto lights all sorts. She is getting 600+ miles from a tank and its averaging 48.7 MPG. Its also far quieter to drive than any TDI VW that I have been in as well.

Just a suggestion. 169144-ok.gif

I would have thought a Passat TDi would be better value than the Bora. (and I'd go for older with higher mileage every time, as that is something I don't worry about - if verified, sorry SK!)

Also, with the Vx, make sure you get the 'correct' modern diesel. Earlier Vx diesels were poo.

thats great thanks for your help , she wants a VW or another good looking brand as she is working in a very high powered job were they are all very snobby so this has had a weight on her decision, i like the idea of an astra , cracking value but during her lunch break i was not able to swing her round to the idea ! i think the new car option you are right abuot , will leave her to see if she can improve the deal and we can hold off the 2nd hard vehicles till we are sure ?

i presume you have settled on the bora as you like it / have driven one etc?? Nice car - my wife has one, but dated inside now and the value will drop because of the Jetta and also becuase the bora was never very popular for some reason!!! I like them 169144-ok.gif

Only thing i would say is factor your cambelt change in @ about £350 into your servicing costs if going for the higher mileage, as it will come around quicker. That mileage is nothing at all......

If it is purely a cost saving exercise, i would avoid it. Get something newer with warranty, economical and that you can sell easy in 18-24 months Vx or japanese (Avensis??)diesels a good option - situations change and you probably wont keep it as long as you first imagined!!! 169144-ok.gif

PS - if you had to go with either of the 2, go for the older sport.

Fair enough on the badge. We look at other marques but she said the Golf looked boring and it was noisy to drive. Plus for the money the car was low on equipment and the old generation.

Her Astra has loads of toys and a cracking diesel. Can post some pics if it helps but will have to wait till later on. We drove to a place in Derby to get the right car at the right price, great place. Vauxhall wanted 3k more for a similar not diesel car. Its all warrantied and it had only done 12k miles and was only 8 months old. Wasn't a mark on it and after a claybar and a wax it really does look like a great motor. 169144-ok.gif

i with you on the astra really but she said the bora is quite classless and its a sensiable car no one will really say anything abuot , she has driven one and likes it but after driving a freelander for 2 years anything is different ! we would like to save the money and get the cheaper one but we have not been able to do much in the house as i have not been able to do anything after recent events so spending the money and slowing things down prob in the long run is a better idea, will keep you posted and post picts of the finished decision !

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest I wouldn't look at anything VW/Audi with your budget.

My other half got an Astra Design 1.7CDti 100bhp just before christmas less than 12 months old for only £9500. Its a cracking car and certainly not second best to my Audi for quality. Its got part leather, rain sensing wipers, auto lights all sorts. She is getting 600+ miles from a tank and its averaging 48.7 MPG. Its also far quieter to drive than any TDI VW that I have been in as well.

Just a suggestion. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful, slagging off Audi's in favour of vauxhalls gets you in to trouble- Ask MAstra, oh you can't, he got banned for slagging off Audi's tongue.gifgrin.gifconfused.gif

jump.gif

That's a refreshing view to hear smile.gif

Well done for not being quite as blinkered as some owners 169144-ok.gif.

Tom- Consider selling privately and buying a ex-lease car from a auction house. British car auctions in Camberly (Blackbush), isn't that near you?

Got one 5 weeks ago for a friend, a mint Passat Sport Est Sept 2003, 63k miles, FVWSH £7,500. The car was £19.7k new 169144-ok.gif

I'd consider the new Focus 2.0 TDCi

A used one would come in budget and the car is completely classless, can be parked next to most high performance or classy marques without looking out of place. I had one as a hire car for a week and it was a very capable car if thats your style!

• 2 months later...