Bike rack?

Pincher

The only way you can do it on the Mk4 is with roof rails plus bike carrier (expensive option) or with one that straps onto the bootlid - not an option to have one that attaches to a tow bar, as you can't (officially) put one on the Mk4 R32, but I've seen a tow-bar install on a US site.

Be very careful which brand you get if going for one that straps on (I'm being very careful how I write this EEK2.GIF) because Mrs Mook managed to bend the top of the boot-lid on her Passat ROLLEY~14.GIF

I would reccomend the VW roof bars and either their carriers or an alternative, it does work well and the bars fit well. VW do not offer a rear 'strap on' due to the potential damage to the rear spoiler.

Please let me know if you have any further questions re the bars etc..

We've had VW supplied roof bars on all our Golfs (3 door and 5 door) as well as the New Bug we used to have - fit well and they never came off, even at stupid speeds on the Autobahn!

Just strap your bikes on well 169144-ok.gif

I have one, used it quite a bit now, last week in fact. Best way to do it is with the VW Roof bars and some bike racks. The VW bars are Aero Lock compatible I think its called which means the bike carriers will just slide into groves on the roof bars and lock in tight with out any messing about or messy nut and bolt set up. !

I chose the Thule ProRide 591 carriers as there really quick to lock and load the bikes and made from alloy so are really light. Also have built in Key locks to you can security lock the bikes to your roof, handy if you want to nip into the services and not have to worry about leaving the bikes un attended.

Stability wise there fine, when you get up to 80 mph + you can tell there up there as the drag has quite a noticeable effect on performance but there good for 100 mph easy with out having to worry. When carrying 2 bikes I use a couple of bungee cords to help lock the bikes together and pull them tight down to the roof bars just gives a little more piece of mind. 169144-ok.gif

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Cheers

matt cool.gif

No marking so far, when you buy the roof bars from VW new they come with some transparent stick on plastic patches that go under the rubber feet of the roof bars but Iv not used them as I thought they might collect dirt in time so I got a roll of that non slip rubber matting and cut some squares out to use. You can see them in some of the lower pics.

cheers

matt