Any recommendations?

bearra

Put Carctere rear valance on at the weekend and have now decided to definitely lower the cab with Eibach Pro-Kit to finish it off.

I know quite a few have lowered their's on here, any recommendations where to go to get springs fitted?

I know DJBS4 did a lot of research before changing his springs. I'm sure he'll be along to give you the details soon. Cab_Lad did his as well and was on here the other day. From what I can remember with a small drop you can get a good look without any significant impact on ride quality. That makes it quite a good mod.

169144-ok.gif

CM

[ QUOTE ]

Put Carctere rear valance on at the weekend and have now decided to definitely lower the cab with Eibach Pro-Kit to finish it off.

I know quite a few have lowered their's on here, any recommendations where to go to get springs fitted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Hof, hope things are good witchoo?? Ok so about these here lowering springs. I do have H&R Sports Springs fitted and fitted well by Awesome GTI. They drop the car by 25mm all round and tighten the ride somewhat, given also I have 19" MTM's so if you are wanting a float along ride stay well clear of that combo!! Purposeful stance and ride is the name of the game here....I have also been doing myself some research on the H&R's / OEM damper config and there are many an option available to either upgrade the dampers to Konis to run with the H&R's, or go the whole hog and either change them all for a Koni suspension kit or a KW coilover setup with rebound/damping and adjustable lowering settings. The downside of the former choices is that prices will range anywhere from £580 to £850 without fitting!! Whereas the H&R's supplied and fitted cost me £520.

The only problem one might face in changing out the original springs for sports springs in either H&R or Eibach form is that the new springs might (and I say might lucidly as nobody can categorically confirm this and I have posed this very question to many an expert) exceed the design rating of the OEM dampers which may result in the dampers being exposed to undue stresses as the sports springs are shorter by design but the original dampers are rated along the entire length as opposed to compressed so this may not indeed be a longterm concern. So for me the jury is still out on this subject, I did think that the ride on my car was becoming "numb" though after having had the springs/dampers checked over in recent days everything is as it should be. The car sits well and feels as responsive and as taught as it did when I drove home after the work was carried out at Awesome GTI so yes, I would seriously recommend getting H&R sports springs fitted. 169144-ok.gif Hope that helps, David

Think DJBs BiMotos help fill the arches out nicely too notworthy.gif, but mechanic at dealers yesterday said to avoid 19" on the cab, bad handling or something...

They also told me I've buckled one of wheels so more new wheels grin.gif Think I'm gonna go for hyper silver old shape RS4's this time, looking at pics of my old cab think they're still my favourite Audi wheel.

Mine old cab was lowered 30mm by Jeff Fowkes Wheels in Ibstock, Leicester - improved the handling IMO and the ride wasn't that bad either. I got told all sorts of horror stories about 19" wheels on the cab but I had no problems at all 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Hof, hope things are good witchoo?? Ok so about these here lowering springs. I do have H&R Sports Springs fitted and fitted well by Awesome GTI. They drop the car by 25mm all round and tighten the ride somewhat, given also I have 19" MTM's so if you are wanting a float along ride stay well clear of that combo!! Purposeful stance and ride is the name of the game here....I have also been doing myself some research on the H&R's / OEM damper config and there are many an option available to either upgrade the dampers to Konis to run with the H&R's, or go the whole hog and either change them all for a Koni suspension kit or a KW coilover setup with rebound/damping and adjustable lowering settings. The downside of the former choices is that prices will range anywhere from £580 to £850 without fitting!! Whereas the H&R's supplied and fitted cost me £520.

The only problem one might face in changing out the original springs for sports springs in either H&R or Eibach form is that the new springs might (and I say might lucidly as nobody can categorically confirm this and I have posed this very question to many an expert) exceed the design rating of the OEM dampers which may result in the dampers being exposed to undue stresses as the sports springs are shorter by design but the original dampers are rated along the entire length as opposed to compressed so this may not indeed be a longterm concern. So for me the jury is still out on this subject, I did think that the ride on my car was becoming "numb" though after having had the springs/dampers checked over in recent days everything is as it should be. The car sits well and feels as responsive and as taught as it did when I drove home after the work was carried out at Awesome GTI so yes, I would seriously recommend getting H&R sports springs fitted. 169144-ok.gif Hope that helps, David

[/ QUOTE ]

Only just noticed your response DJB, sorry, not being rude just never noticed it bowdown.gif

Exactly what I'm after 169144-ok.gif

Had the Miltek done at Awesome and with your recommendation think that's where I will have to go. They were maticulous with the exhaust.

Do you remember how long it took to fit them?

I seem to remember DJBS4 was there for the day but fitting was 4-5 hours max, getting the OEM springs off can be a bit of a mare with the restraining bolts and this determines how long you'll be there for If it's easy take off then less time. 169144-ok.gif

NP. 169144-ok.gif

Hopefully have my H&R's fitted in the next couple of weeks. DJBS4 and I have gone for H&R's because Eibach don't make a kit for the B6 S4's, although they might for your car. If they did, I would go Eibach over H&R.

Coilovers are essentially adjustable suspension that you can raise and lower the ride height, amount of dampening, etc to suit - means you could slam your car if you were taking it to a show for example, but have it set higher for normal driving.

Cost alot more than just springs due to the level of control - eg I think when I looked a set of Bilstein coilovers for my Golf was in the region of £1000 whereas I could get springs and shocks for about £300.

[Cough] speak to PSI Tuning - Andy will sort you out [cough]

jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Coilovers are essentially adjustable suspension that you can raise and lower the ride height, amount of dampening, etc to suit - means you could slam your car if you were taking it to a show for example, but have it set higher for normal driving.

Cost alot more than just springs due to the level of control - eg I think when I looked a set of Bilstein coilovers for my Golf was in the region of £1000 whereas I could get springs and shocks for about £300.

[Cough] speak to PSI Tuning - Andy will sort you out [cough]

jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got the jist of it, coilovers are more expensive and have better range and rebound compensation ability, but having looked at the H&R website they do sports springs and coilovers for A4 Quattro Cab's B6 and B7. 169144-ok.gif

Hard to tell at the mo as info over here is so sketchy. I know DJBS4 was complaining of the ride on his sports springs but he has since had them checked over and everything is working within normal paramters and he is finding the ride good again.

There just ain't enough info. to determine whether coilovers are better and how, too much conjecture and too many people 'yeah we've fitted loads of them' when they haven't [cough] Awesome [cough]to try and get a sale and paid work.

It's a B6 S4 I have, not a B5.

Must admit in terms of the Golf (can't you see my background!)coilovers were always the preferred choice, but then again this was somewhat to do with the less than perfect handling of the mk4.

As for the A4, and in partic the cab, I am not sure as to whether the extra expense could partic be justified, and would have to defer to the A4 masters on here!