Which VAG com cable?

jaboker

Is there a specific VAG com for an Audi A3? Not too clued up as to what exactly VAG com, but from what i've read its a cable that connects via laptop to the car?

I have an Audi A3 1.9 TDi 130bhp 2002. Is there a specific cable I need for this.

Vagcom is diagnostic software and lead for the VAG range.

www.ross-tech.com

For your A3, just choose weather you want USB or serial port.

Ie

KEY-USB or

KEY-COM (consider that serial ports are becoming less common)

If you are likely to change to a newer Audi/VW in future consider one of the leads with Canbus capabilities. (also backwards compatible)

HEX-USB+CAN Interface

HEX-COM+CAN Interface

All of these official leads will fully unlock all features of the software.

There are third pary lead available, but will limit functionality somewhat, and or limit you to certain old versions of the software, and require you to buy the registered version of vagcom if you want full function, as the free shareware version is limited in its operation.

You can buy vagcom direct from US, or through

SK Pang www.skpang.co.uk a poster here who sells both official leads/ software and compatible third party leads

I thought I'd tag my enquiry onto this one.

A friend of mine has a 2005 A3 and I have a 2005 A4. Another friend is thinking of getting a TT. So I was thinking we could club together and get a cable. Would one of the Ross-Tech ones do for all vehicles? Would the advice be the same as above?

Either of these depending on weather you want USB or SERIAL, you need canbus for the 2005 A3.

If you are likely to change to a newer Audi/VW in future consider one of the leads with Canbus capabilities. (also backwards compatible)

HEX-USB+CAN Interface

HEX-COM+CAN Interface

I would have thought USB would be more desireable than serial as far as PC connections are concerned. Is there anything else that needs to be considered when choosing between the two? Because it seems to me that HEX-USB+CAN Interface would be the way to go.