Please help me to choose a new car!

cfoulstone

Hi

I have recently changed my job and I'm earning enough extra cash to think about changing my car.

I currently drive a VW Bora 2.3 V5 and it isn't quick enough for me. My budget will be approx £15-17k and I need to use the car every day to drive to work. This means that I would like to avoid the Scooby/Evo brigade as the ride will be too hard for my 3 hours a day commute to and from work.

Ideally I would like a motor that can push me up to 60 in under 6.5 secs (I also have a clio 182 that my missus drives and I want something quicker!). It must have good handling and be refined/well kitted out on the inside.

The age restriction is 3-4 years old and max 45k mileage. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me decide what to buy?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Welcome to TSN cfoulstone!

Unless you already have done, I'd recommend test driving an Impreza WRX (standard version, not the STi). The ride is perfectly acceptable, and I doubt you'll find anything vastly better in the same price/performance bracket. If you want to avoid the chav image, get a nice subtle 5 door - more practical and just as quick.

And for £15-17k you could afford a brand new one from one of the car supermarkets!

I'll have a hunt for alternatives... (better than work grin.gif )

Unfortuately it sounds that a scooby is perfect. TBH i can't see why it's ride would be any harder than anything else in it's class. Unless you want an UBER barge, but then you'd have to go slightly older and slightly leggy (although most of the big boys can handle the miles easily).

Thanks chaps

I have driven the WRX, monty's of sheffield let me take one for an hour and half (bless 'em).

The drive and performance were great but I'm still unsure of the longer journeys.

I always make a point of 'testing' the cars that i test drive and actually had the brakes smoking on the WRX with a bit of hard driving. Is this common or did I give it a little too much?

If it is common, is there an easy way to solve it via aftermarket upgrades?

The 330 is also a car that i have been considering but have not driven (yet).

The problem I have is insurance. At 24 with no NCB and 6 points I am penalised with around 2k for a scooby - any suggestions for cheaper insurance?

Ah - the Impreza is expensive insurance-wise, compared to... well, just about anything really. frown.gif

Smoking brakes may just have meant it had been stood for a while and you were clearing the crap off the discs! The Impreza's brakes are pretty good - and there are lots of good mods out there.

A BMW 330ci would certainly tick all the boxes, and it's a tad more subtle/refined than the Scooby.

James: it doesn't necessarily have to have a lid - open would be fine.

I will give elephant a try on the insurance but both of these suggestions give me plenty to think about.

Before i took a reality chech I was considering an M3, around 2002. At 24-25k that would have cleaned me out completely - but worth it?? Since then I decided to save about 8-9k and have something a little cheaper.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear from you.

You didnt really say what kinda size car you want or how you like to drive - 330 is a great car, but might not give you the same thrill as a smaller engine with a turbo.

The top end of your budget pushes you into new Golf GTi, MK4 R32, The £17k also isnt too far away from a Nissan 350z either.

[ QUOTE ]

I currently drive a VW Bora 2.3 V5 and it isn't quick enough for me. My budget will be approx £15-17k and I need to use the car every day to drive to work. This means that I would like to avoid the Scooby/Evo brigade as the ride will be too hard for my 3 hours a day commute to and from work.

Ideally I would like a motor that can push me up to 60 in under 6.5 secs. It must have good handling and be refined/well kitted out on the inside.

The age restriction is 3-4 years old and max 45k mileage. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me decide what to buy?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about my RX-8 Link? Ok so it won't crack 6.5 seconds to 60 but will put a smile on your face. I moved to the RX-8 from a Passat V5 and the RX-8 is at a different level for performance. The suspension set-up is very forgiving and I've never felt jaded after 1-2hours in the driving seat!

Another plus point is that it's only Group 16 insurance so should save a few £££'s. As for standard kit it's fairly impressive (have a look at the link for more info)!

It'll drink a bit of juice on a 3 hour commute but if you've already considered Scooby's and Evo's I guess you aren't too concerned about that!

It's the best car I've owned by a long way! The rotary engine is something completely different to the norm, unique sound and rev happy, and as such needs a different approach to driving. I've had no problems with it in the 2 and a bit years I've had it.

A family and need for something more practical to lug it around is the reason for sale, swapping for an A4. My wifes nagging to buy a sensible car has finally worn me down but I'll be sad to see it go. (the car not the wife jump.gif)

Beemer 330 would suit you down to the ground I reckon. Or how about a 330d? very quick, and with a DMS chip, even quicker smile.gif Apart from the bimmer, there's the Mk IV R32, or how about a Focus ST? Good ride, practical, fast, and you could get a new one for around 15-17K.........

These are exactly the requirements I have for a car and I keep coming back to the 330Ci or, (330 clubsport if you want it a bit more bling), it ticks all the boxes you mentioned.

With the new one coming out at the moment though - prices for the E46 might take a bit of a dip in the coming months.....

330 is a very good suggestion. My Ci is lovely. cool.gif

Also, the nice people at the BMW dealership tell me that I should have changed it earlier this year, because the new Coupe is about to launch, and mine is therefore worth 2p. frown.gif So that should help you.

Mrs P doesn't like the ride - says it is too hard. I've no idea what this means... grin.gif

The Clubsport is a bit in-your-face, I always feel. coffee.gif

Lots of info about the WRX over on ScoobyNet. My girlfriend is about to get one so I have been researching away for the past week or so. If you want any info about where to buy and how to mod the car please drop me an email or a PM. Cheers