A8 4.2 quattro on GAS?

BOSKO

Wazzz uup?

hey, i want to buy till end of the summer my own A8. I don't know which engine i should buy. I don't want to spand all my money on benz so i wanted to buy 2.5 TDi, but it's too expencive-i drive a lot, that's why I want it to run on GAS. It still gets a little less expencive than the Diesel engine. But still i want to have 4.2 quattro(GAS) and if you can help me out here? I can not decide what should I do? will it be a pain in the ass for services, benz, gas?

...and how do i convince my grandpa, because he wants me to have a diesel (GOLF IV TDi) and if he doesn't give me a green light i'll have to buy golf mad.gif

and yet another question: if i remove top speed limiter(250km/h)in 4.2 how fast can it go? laugh.gif

Tnx 169144-ok.gif

post-14219-13791435832_thumb.jpg

Hi Bosko,

No experience myself, but there have been a few discussions about LPG conversions, a couple of which related to the 4.2 litre A8 and S8.

The good news for you is that it seems to work fine, almost no loss of performance, only a few mpg less than petrol and it's a lit less expensive per litre!

Good luck convincing your grandpa! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Benz money worries with 8? Mhhh... go with golf. SMOKE6.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, of caurse crazy.gif

that's why I want to convert it to GAS so it will be less expencive. cool.gif

I just love a lot of horses and I can't just have diesel...it's too boring SLEEP5.GIF

I enquired about getting my 4.2Q put on gas before I sold it, I was told it has to be a multi point injection system and fitted it would cost £2500 so even at 40p per litre saving you'll have to do a lot of miles just to get the fitting cost back.

would you keep the car that long

[ QUOTE ]

I enquired about getting my 4.2Q put on gas before I sold it, I was told it has to be a multi point injection system and fitted it would cost £2500 so even at 40p per litre saving you'll have to do a lot of miles just to get the fitting cost back.

would you keep the car that long

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done some research myself and in Slovenia I was told that it will cost me around 1500Pounds. Of caurse I'll cheak all the other ofers on the market and consider which product is best for my A8.

I'll try to hold on to it for at least 3 years...

I live in the city centre and how will this effect on the spendings on fuel or LPG and I'll try to drive mostly on LPG? confused.gif

£1500 for a conversion is reasonable, depending on the type of system you are having. Point about steel/aluminium is valid but you should be ok as they tend to put the filler in the plastic bumper.

Type of driving doesnt really effect LPG use (town or motorway)once the engine is warm it will run on LPG all the time. Only if you floor it might you notice it switch back to petrol, but I found a change of LPG filters and ECU check all but sorted this.

Miles is the key to make this pay, could be looking at 12 - 15k to break even depending on install cost, but I am an avid fan of LPG and would never go back now.

Hey space1234!

I'm wondering where did you put that switch for LPG/petrol?

Can you put it left from the Heat right seat button which is unused?

And also where is your indicator of how much LPG is left in the tank?...if you would have time and photo it would mean a lot:D

Switch has gone exactly where you suggest, just to the left of the right seat heater. The system I have has the LPG indicator and switch all built into one unit, however the readings are very unreliable (shows empty when still half full). I have never bothered with this, instead just work out how far you can go on a tankful and then use your trip computer to track mileage.

Will try to get piccy later today