Bargain Volvo 460

NeilB

The irony of that is that the 460 Turbo was a bit of a low class Q car when it was released. My Dad actually had a friend who bought a new black one. It seemed to have a fair amount of poke from what I recall.

They looked sh1te. They still do. The interiors were quite nice for their day though!

[ QUOTE ]

The irony of that is that the 460 Turbo was a bit of a low class Q car when it was released. My Dad actually had a friend who bought a new black one. It seemed to have a fair amount of poke from what I recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the 460 quicker than the 480 Turbo, then? I was never impressed with the two 480 Turbos which my father-in-law owned.

[ QUOTE ]

The 460 was based on the 480 Coupe was it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It was based on the 440 Hatch. They all used the same engines though. The turbos were all 1.7 Renault (I think) units putting out around 120bhp.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The 460 was based on the 480 Coupe was it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It was based on the 440 Hatch. They all used the same engines though. The turbos were all 1.7 Renault (I think) units putting out around 120bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the 440 based on the 480??

I'm sure there was a connection other than the engines, I thought the underworks were the same; probably wrong though.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same floor pan, same mechanicals, few shared parts otherwise, both hideous. All three cars were conceived at the same time, Volvo merely launched the 480 first as some kind of range topper. 440 followed a year or so later and then the 460 hobbled into the showrooms a bit later.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same floor pan, same mechanicals, few shared parts otherwise, both hideous. All three cars were conceived at the same time, Volvo merely launched the 480 first as some kind of range topper. 440 followed a year or so later and then the 460 hobbled into the showrooms a bit later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see!

c003esb.jpg

I always had a soft spot for the Volvo 480ES, it was one of my favourite Matchbox cars when I was little.

v067.jpg