i need more MPG from audi a6

razna

Drive slower? smile.gif

I could only get 27mpg out of the 2.5Tdi, others say they get 35+ but they must be sat on b roads all day at 60mph I reckon.

The Quattro has a smaller tank too, so that does not help range, plus the 4 wheel drive drinks around 5mpg more than the FWD version.

Not sure what's up with yours (or maybe mine !..which is a 2.5 tdi quattro avant from 1998))

I get 35mpg average if I leave the DIS for a month or so and that is a real mix of driving.I'm 8 miles on a B road from anywhere so every trip has this in it, but then my trips vary from 20 miles of m/way through to 40 miles of slow roads through a city and out the other side in rush hour.

As a guide my average speed on the DIS is never more than 40mph. I get 540 to the tank ...though the DIS range will vary from 460 - 650 depending on how I am driving. My tank is 70 litres which shows that the DIS is pretty accurate.

My best MPG is 40-42MPG on a clear motorway trips and I don't think I have ever got less than 30mpg average across a tank.

[ QUOTE ]

..........I'm 8 miles on a B road from anywhere so every trip has this in it...........

[/ QUOTE ]

There is your answer, constant driving without lots of stop starting for the first 6-10 miles gives you car a chance to warm up, during this warm up period you can consume as much as 40% more fuel than you do when it is warm.

Alot of people don't even get the engine warm by the time they get to their destination, then wonder why they have such bad economy.

I had a software upgrade on Friday and the OBC was reset, I have only done short (sub 10 mile) journeys straight onto the dual carrigeway for 6 miles and then through town since then and my computer is reading 21.9mpg. If I reset it and go into town down the back roads I bet it would be reading 34mpg.

We are all different and the only way we can tell if the car is using the right amount of fuel is if we borrow the same model for a couple of days and see what the results are.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

..........I'm 8 miles on a B road from anywhere so every trip has this in it...........

[/ QUOTE ]

There is your answer, constant driving without lots of stop starting for the first 6-10 miles gives you car a chance to warm up, during this warm up period you can consume as much as 40% more fuel than you do when it is warm.

Alot of people don't even get the engine warm by the time they get to their destination, then wonder why they have such bad economy.

I had a software upgrade on Friday and the OBC was reset, I have only done short (sub 10 mile) journeys straight onto the dual carrigeway for 6 miles and then through town since then and my computer is reading 21.9mpg. If I reset it and go into town down the back roads I bet it would be reading 34mpg.

We are all different and the only way we can tell if the car is using the right amount of fuel is if we borrow the same model for a couple of days and see what the results are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totaly agree 169144-ok.gif

The 2.5tdi is not a good engine really and that is the problem, not your right foot.

It is not a patch on the 1.9tdi, especially in the later pd130 form as in my wife's golf.

I get better fuel economy in my 2.7t avant than that which shows how poor the 2.5tdi really is.

Some are better than others but on the whole 25mpg is about all you can expect on average.

It may be worth having a new cam belt and ask them to set the cam timing correctly, rather than just not move anything from how it is now. Precise cam timing can make a considerable difference to the 2.5 V6.

• 2 months later...

Wow, don't press the pedal on the right so much, or the one on the left.

I have an A6 2.5TDi with Multitronic box. It had 10,000 on the clock when I bought it and has now got 73,500 after 2 and bit years. I have averaged 40.2mpg in this time. Sad but all diesel recorded and mileage at each tank.

The record is 723 miles from one tank at 49.9mpg. So near!The worst is 27 mpg where I went a bit quicker!

I would say that it likes to sit at 68/69 not 70/71 or 90, this keeps it just below the turbo at 1950 revs or so which makes it much more economical.

By the way if anyone wants a secondhand A6 I have my eye on a new 2.7Tdi with Multitronic.

FootSore

• 3 weeks later...