How do I enable volume compensation on head unit

Justhe1

Before anyone asks - I have actually RTFM (for once!) - and it states that by holding down the Menu button for 2 secs it will give me a menu including options for recording Traffic announcments, set max volume etc - I have all these but it doesn't give me the option for the volume compensation (increase as I drive faster)..

Does the single CD head unit on the S.E. not have this option - the dealer said it did...

I do have the Ipod adapter fitted if that should make any difference, although can't see how..? confused.gif

Cheers in advance,

J

It's automatic on the BOSE, called Dynamic Noise Regulation or something. In another thread discussing the subject it was considered, possibly, non-adjustable.

In non-BOSE systems it's called GALA and a user variable from 0-4, iirc. However, it appears to make no difference whatsoever!

Yep, on BOSE its the DNR. Otherwise known as no change whatsoever until you come off the motorway and slow down and wonder why your stereo has died. Or until you put the window down and get deafened by Gwen Stefani.

Useless. 99% of the time you'd never know it existed. ROLLEY~14.GIF

As everyone has said if you listen really hard you can hear it, more noticeable at low volumes i.e. when you can hardly here the stereo. When the background noise increases the "volume" increases, and is the only way you can really tell it works unless you have highly tuned/evovled ears I guess. I guess the Bose answer would be "You shouldn't be able to tell it's working, just appreciate the purity of the sound", or words to that effect. Go to the Bose website for some marketing cr*p on what it's meant to do! See here & click on the AudioPilot link for the lowdown.

[ QUOTE ]

Sponge - can you tell the DNR is working - I think I can but I'm not overly convinced!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I can, but I agree with you, it's hard to tell.

I have it set to 4, which I think is the maximum, i.e. it alters the volume the most. But the manual is useless. Even on this setting the change in volume is minimal.

A mate of mine has a BOSE equiped A3 and I noticed his system increased the volume when he opened his window! ROLLEY~14.GIF

i have mine (GALA) on full whack setting and it works great - at 80mph it adds just enough so that i never have to fiddle with the volume when i get onto, or off, the motorway.

The VW one is much more harsh and too noticible up and down for my liking...... same with Ford.

I think Audi have got it just right - but then my hearing is very good apparently.... grin.gif

I thought GALA was the speed sensitive volume control, had it on my 2004 RNS-E but that changed in 2005 with the bose sound compensation which has no settings on the RNS-E. Found GALA a complete nothing really. CraigyR is the man to ask 169144-ok.gif