what's New Zealand like??

malagus

Im going there on a sports tour in the summer, 20 days, both islands, from christchurch to auckland, with stops on the way. anything i should see or take note of whilst there? alos - does anyone know what the age for drinking is over there?

sounds good. Unfortunately im not going to queenstown frown.gif

the tour stops off in:

Christchurch,

Kaikoura,

Blenheim,

Wellington,

New Plymouth,

Rotorua,

Tauranga,

Whakatane,

and Auckland

anyone have anything i HAVE to see or do in these places - the only thing i can see so far on the itinerary is jetboating in te puke, which sounds fun.

Tongariro national park near Whakapapa... Go skiing there, good fun, also a few excellent hikes in the area.

Get to Taupo, a few miles north of the town is the Huka Falls, along with the Huka Jet boat rides which are by far the best. 5.7 Chevy V8 jetboat doing 360s and the drivers are a real good laugh!

Go on a blackwater rafting experience at Waitomo Caves... There's also the best hotel I've ever stayed at a few miles out of Waitomo: http://www.woodlynpark.co.nz/accommodation.html

Best geo-thermal attraction is probably Wai-o-Tapu, between Taupo and Rotorua: http://www.geyserland.co.nz/

Could go on for days about the North Island. smile.gif

What's New Zealand like?

Beautiful country and a nice place to be. South Island is more picturesque, North island has many geological points of interest etc.

Culture wise it's like the UK 20 yrs ago...LOL

I know you said you are not going to Queenstown, but if you can get there it's worth the effort. One of my favourite places anywhere in the world. Even without all the adrenalin sports it's still a really great place.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Tongariro national park near Whakapapa... Go skiing there, good fun, also a few excellent hikes in the area.

Get to Taupo, a few miles north of the town is the Huka Falls, along with the Huka Jet boat rides which are by far the best. 5.7 Chevy V8 jetboat doing 360s and the drivers are a real good laugh!

Go on a blackwater rafting experience at Waitomo Caves... There's also the best hotel I've ever stayed at a few miles out of Waitomo: http://www.woodlynpark.co.nz/accommodation.html

Best geo-thermal attraction is probably Wai-o-Tapu, between Taupo and Rotorua: http://www.geyserland.co.nz/

Could go on for days about the North Island. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Omi has covered it on the North Island. if you're in Christchurch try the Transalpine Express on a return trip. Kaikoura, if you like nature than whale watching and the dolphin swim are excellent so long you are not easily sea sick and it can get choppy out there on the jet boats and of course the vinyard tours north of Christchurch, especially Montana.

The Tonagriro hike is excellent and is where the Lord of the Rings title sequence battle was filmed, however take full hiking gear with you as the mist and winds can roll in in about 5 mins and climbing shear shingle ledges in open toe sandals ain't the best idea. also best to stay in the hotel at Tongariro as it is a fair trip back to Taupo afterward and the hike takes a full day.

In fact it is so good I will emigrate there once I've made my money to buy an island in the Bay of Islands / Queen Charlotte's sound and build my house on it and become a sea kayak instructor / tour guide.

Are you crossing using the Picton Ferry or flying. If by ferry, stay in the are a couple of days beforehand and sea kayak in Abel Tasman National park.

Wet and cold at the moment! Stuck in Queenstown ( flights cancelled 2 days in a row due to snow !!), just waiting to get back to the U.K and pick up my new R32 which has been at the dealers for 5 weeks, going straight to dealers!

In all honesty, bring a camera and plenty of film the views here are amazing, I have never seen scenery like this.Really is a great country, friendly people and loads of stuff to see and do.

Here's a pic of the sunset 2 days ago... 839900-NZ_Sky.jpg

post-12019-137914362645_thumb.jpg

lol.gif

Only pulling yer leg. It's a superb country, according to my missus, who spent 3 months backpacking around there a while ago.

Extreme sports are cheaper in NZ than other countries, if you fancy bungee jumping, skydiving, white water rafting etc.

I believe it is down to NZ law taking the view that if you hurt yourself, it is your own problem. You were warned about the risks blah blah. No ambulance chasers allowed smashfreakB.gif

Enjoy 169144-ok.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi There Angel, me and my wife are seriously considering trying to emigrate to NZ. I've passed the points online but not taken it any further than that. My main worry is work. it seems that most of the IT work is on the north island but we've been told that the north island suffers from some social problems. is that right? do you have any advise at all?

Hi Floyd,

NZ does have its problems but they are no worse than in the UK you can be a rural as you like here or live in the city, although Auckland is the exception it is very busy, and the road etticutt is like Paris maybe worse! the rest of NZ is not that busy. We went to Wellington the other day and that is the Capital it was as busy as Nottingham in comparison. I live in a little town near Hamilton North Island 3 hours away from Auckland and it is so relaxed. Like anywhere you have to choose carefully where you live.

any questions PM me and i will try to help.