A4 2.0TDI Oil Usage - Official Dealer Answer

UBM

Well, I thought that 1L of long life oil every 3000 miles was a bit too much. Apparantly not. The tolerable limit for the 2.0TDI is 1L every 750 miles. EEK2.GIF

Apparantly the longlife oil is thinner than normal engine oil and you lose more through combustion..... smashfreakB.gif

Sounds like nonsense to me,unless VW have messed up with the 2.0 tdi engines.

I bought my 1.9 20k ago,and it also uses long life oil,and I haven't had to top it up once,not once in all that hard driving,and yet they think it's acceptable to be topping up the 2litre after 750 miles. crazy.gif

They could've at least told you why it was using oil.

The reason is because the Oil is a thin viscosity. In the 'old' days 10W-40 oil was used from factory or a car was pre-filled with 'running-in' oil and changed after 1000/5000 miles. Nowadays the cars filled immedeately from factory with 0W-30 (now 5W-30) oil so it can now take up to 30000 miles for the pistons etc to fully bed-in. This is why it burns it faster than it used to, the oil is just so good at lubricating that the engine doesn't wear in as quick as it used to!! They have now switched to 5W-30 SLX3 (which superseeds SLX2) and I have it on good authority (and experience) that the cars now use much less oil and you still get the same benefits of AVS servicing 169144-ok.gif

Your car will now be filled with it if you've just had a service smile.gif Might be worth checking with your Servicing Centre though.

Like I said, it won't completely stop the oil consumption but it will certainly reduce it. Mine was filled with SLX2 from factory and all its top-ups have been SLX3. Its had 1.5 litres in 11300 miles so far but I also do long distance/long mileage so my oil consumption will be less anyway smile.gif

At 9k I changed the oil in my 2.0tdi with a pela 6000 oil pump, took 10 mins to suck out the old oil through the dip stick tube very easy, then I re supplied with Castrol edge slx3 and since then I've done 3k and its used half a litre of top up, a lot less than the 3 litres over the 9k before the oil change.

A mate got the oil for me for free so I thought I'd change it half way through the service cycle.

I think the 2.0 petrol can be added to the list of oil-thirsty Audi engines frown.gif

Mine has used over 3/4litre in under 5000miles - and the light has just come on again!

Its using 5W 30 fully synthetic - next time Im going to get a fixed length service with some nice thick ordinary oil - I dont expect to be poking around under the bonnet of a modern car all the time!

[ QUOTE ]

I think the 2.0 petrol can be added to the list of oil-thirsty Audi engines frown.gif

Mine has used over 3/4litre in under 5000miles - and the light has just come on again!

Its using 5W 30 fully synthetic - next time Im going to get a fixed length service with some nice thick ordinary oil - I dont expect to be poking around under the bonnet of a modern car all the time!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better my oil usage is about a litre every 5000 miles, you're not alone.