Well, this story is much better reading!

UBM

So, it is A4 related also!

Today Mrs UBM was hosting her round of the NCT Mums after sales type thing - you know, baby club. Seven Mums and babies meet for the afternoon - eat lunch and generally coo a lot.

Anyway, UBM gets home and one of the Mums nice avus S-Line avant is parked in the neighbours space.

Some of the Mums have gone home already, but one is just on her way as I come home.

We say our goodbyes, but two minutes later she's back - what's she forgotten?

Nothing - she's locked the baby and keys in the A4.

I coolly ring Audi Assist, but she throws a fit (literally) and the next thing you know dibble is on the way.

Audi assist were great, they called me back and dispatched the nearest RAC patrol - who was 15-20 minutes away.

So, dibble is on scene, but he was not happy breaking into the A4 (too right I said!). But, mum is getting hysterical, the car is facing the sun and baby is crying now.

The MIttens then calls the Fire Service and not much later we have the mittens and fire boys on the drive.

All the neighbours are out now too.

UBM gets a blanket and puts it over the windscreen to stop the heat building up. Baby starts getting over zealous, so the fire boys break the drivers window and get the keys to get baby out.

Everyone was OK, but how's that for excitement!

Just as the window was broken , the Audi Assist guy arrives and asks "whats the circus for"!

So, two hours later, UBM has finished sweeping up all the glass

phew.... jump.gif

How did she lock the keys in the car? I've done it myself when you press the remote to open all doors, open the boot first, put keys in boot, shut boot and car autolocks as a door hasn't been opened smashfreakB.gif

Unless she put the kid in via the boot, how did she lock the keys in the car?

No - I think I sussed it!

She opened the car with the electronic key fob. Put baby in and as she was putting baby in with the back door open prssed lock accidentally on the key fob. She then slams shut babys door, keys in the car and of course, the car locks and the alarm sets! The alarm was activated as baby kept setting it off!

The only other thing I can think of was she was longer than two minutes but I thought autolock after 2 minutes only worked if you didn't open the doors...

[ QUOTE ]

The only other thing I can think of was she was longer than two minutes but I thought autolock after 2 minutes only worked if you didn't open the doors...

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Autolock cancelled once door opened.

But not boot, hence possible to lock keys in boot. (Also possible by opening boot with boot release on key without unlocking car, then shutting boot with keys inside).

I'm sure the whole situation was very distressing. However, and maybe I'm being a heartless bastard, but had it been me I would have waited for Audi Assist. blush.gif (Assuming they could enter the car without breaking anything.) Babies cry, it's what they do. They soon stop and are laughing again as if nothing happened. They're like Goldfish. As long as the child was safe and not in any immediate danger, I would have left it.

If my wife reads this she'll probably do her nut and never leave our boy with me again. grin.gif

Don't know how much Audi Assist could have helped if they are anything like VW!

My mate did the same on his Golf - opened the boot and then shut the keys in it (luckily there was no baby involved!). He called the AA, who were useless, and just called a recovery truck. They suggested he get a locksmith out, who came and spent two hours with a piece of wire, successfully dropping the back seat with it and fishing the keys out - however, at the crucial point where he was about to press the button to release the doors, he dropped the keys out of sight and that was that. Recovery came out again and dragged the motor onto the back of a truck and took it to the local stealers.

By this time it was 5pm on a Sat afternoon, so the stealer could do nothing till Monday am. Luckily my mate managed to get the spare key to his motor from work (company lease car) and phoned the stealer to say it was ok - they replied by saying it was lucky he had called - they were just about to put the side window through with a lump of wood!!

Not exactly the most technical fix to the problem smashfreakB.gif

Well there is some cause for alarm, potentially:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/380997.stm

Worst thing I ever heard was a bloke who took his child on way to work that day (not usual pattern for him, wife usually took it); was meant to go to nursery to drop it off, but child was asleep, he went to work as usual, and forgot child; only to find it dead when he came out of office.

How awful would that be ... EEK2.GIF

Good thinking with the blanket there, UBM 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

He called the AA, who were useless, and just called a recovery truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif I think it must depend which AA patrol you get - I saw a guy lock his keys in his mk4 Golf at a petrol station, the AA arrived and the car was opened in seconds EEK2.GIF