Fat GTI's

This is bizarre as I was chatting about this to a mate last night. We were looking at the ST and the GTI. The GTI is quite a bit lighter, around 80kg, yet the base model Focus's are lighter than the base Golfs, iirc. So I'm guessing the GTI doesn't add "too" much weight to the standard Golf.

It also depends on what spec you add, mine for example:

alloys; yeah heaviers and unsprung weight, bugger.

leather; with seat heaters maybe a KG heavier? Bit more

cruise; marginal difference if any

metallic; probably no difference

DSG; no idea, can anyone confirm the weight difference of this?

Nav; Perhaps a little more weight due to more electronics, perhaps 1KG?

So I don't think there will be too much difference between the high spec and low spec, perhaps 20KG maybe a bit more. I guess the main differences come when you have cars without ac and spec ac, when you put bigger brakes on etc.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

kgs

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Golf GTI is nearly 1900kg? confused.gif

Where have the extra 5/600kg come from? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected! Just looked at the VW site and it's nearly 1900kg laden. So this begs the question, what is the difference between laden and unladen? I can guess at driver, fuel, oil, brake fluid, steering fluid, coolant, washer fluid, battery etc. But surely, take a 100kg driver, this won't account for around 400 litres of the stuff? shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Laden means maximum weight of the vehicle with passengers, luggage etc. Unladen means when it's sat their on it own with no passengers or luggage. znaika.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK cool, thanks.

*note to self; don't carry any passengers it'll slow me down too much grin.gif

You can do what this guy does to restrict weight:

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=714

Apologies if a repost, but this is one of the funniest posts I think I have ever seen - and I think the guy is serious!

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with your point, but the car is a little quicker than the standard SXi and so I felt the SRi badges were appropriate. It only carries 1 person, Me. It has no extra weight in the car, all glove compartments, cubby holes and the boot is empty. The rear exhaust may or may not add power. It has only ever run on Optimax, I know you get more boost out if this fuel on bigger engined cars but every little helps. The tyres are always inflated to 38 PSI to give extra grip and less tyre slouch. Often I put the rear seats flat, this reduces weight. (Like why you crawl flat across a frozen pond so as not to break the ice). I regularly drive with around £10 of fuel, again weight saving, and often I use engine cleaner in the fuel load to remove debris from the fuel injectors. The car is always clean improving aerodynamic progress. I have timed the 0 - 60 at 9.3 seconds, and this shaves a couple of seconds off the standard time. Hope this answers your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Often I put the rear seats flat, this reduces weight. (Like why you crawl flat across a frozen pond so as not to break the ice).

[/ QUOTE ]

confused.gif Reduce weight? Has anyone told him this spreads it, not reduces it. What a knob. 169144-ok.gif

Oh, and i suppose he always goes to the toilet for a dung.gif before going for a drive. yelrotflmao.gif