Gear Lever Movement, Help Needed.

belperandy

(MK4) has anyone noticed that when in 6th gear the Gear lever moves. For example if the Throttle is being pressed any amount it stays perfectly still, however when you let you foot off the accelerator the gear leaver like pops forward slightly, then when you apply some throttle again it pops back.

It does not do this in any other gear. If I put my hand on it you can really feel it being tugged as you apply throttle

Is this normal or something to worry about.

The likely cause of this is that the engine and gearbox are rocking on the mounts, because they're worn. Generally the side mounts don't wear, but the rear transmission mount, which attaches the gearbox to the chassis (also known as the dog-bone mount) is a prime candidate for wearing.

I run the EIP Rear Transmission Mount which is made with stronger rubber to withstand higher loads, but you can buy a standard replacement if that suit you better.

Hope this helps.

beerchug.gif

Sounds like mine suffers from this too. My 4th gear wobbles and vibrates when i back off the throttle. no vibration while im on throttle only when i let it coast down in 4th gear. Ive just had a sense of humour failure about it with VW as id given them the car twice to sort it out and twice its come back exactly as it went in! The only thing the service rep was prepared to do was tell me to wait until someone else reports the same problem at another dealership so the other mechanics could work out the problem and tell my local bunch of monkeys how to fix it !!!

Obviously i found that attitude disgusting so i wrote to VW with the details and suggested instead of waiting for another unfortunate soul to suffer this problem they should replace my gearbox and strip mine down at their leisure to find the problem.

[ QUOTE ]

Mook,

Will any mod to the 'dog-bone' affect warranty?

I have some poly bushes that I thought about fitting for some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to check with your local service manager, but as you're only replacing a wearing part, I wouldn't see it should be a problem. Every service manager is different though ROLLEY~14.GIF