Water leak from somewhere???

spencerbruntlett

Got coolant leaking from my motor, about a pint a week. Checked the puddle on the floor and its not just condensation from the air con. Had the belly pan off last night and checked everywhere but can see no sign of the leak.

Anyone had anything like this before and know of some tricky little hose somewhere that I need to check?

Sounds like it could be a tricky one - a pint a week suggests a very small leak.

We had a similar problem on Mrs M's 3-series (yes, I know, I did tell her to go for an A4, but she wouldn't listen so don't give me a hard time, OK! smashfreakB.gif) Anyway, it turned out to be a hairline crack on a little plastic fitting at the very back of the engine. Owen Ferry found it because he knew where to look, but I reckon I'd have probably not seen it frown.gif.

Unless anyone else can suggest a known suspect then I suggest you get the car fully warmed up - take it for a run first - then it's just a case of slowly checking every part of the cooling system.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Look at my engine bay pic Try looking under that triangular black shiny shroud on the right side of the pici. next to the coolant expansion tank; there is a plastic T junction for the return pipe. Mine broke and was dripping from there at about the same rate. 169144-ok.gif

I bought the part for around £12 but it includes the pipes and fitting the ends of the pipes is a bugger on the V6 one of them disappers around the back of the engine, can't think it would be any easier on the V8's, I simply removed the craked portion then slidd the pipe over the juntion and tightened a jubilee clip over it for the time being.

Remember if its dry look for white water marks and spray/ droplet patterns 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I have looked everywhere and cant find the exact location, however I do know the following now:

1.) It only leaks when cold, after a run it is bone dry, after a few hours the drips begin.

2.) With the belly pan off the drip can be seen coming off the back end of the sump near the oil filter. Obviously possible that its running down the engine casing and this was just the lowest point but couldnt see where it was running from.

Starting to look like I may have to live with this until it gets worse and is easier to find

Looks like cooler / famous plastic pipe.

If you want to live with it for some time, than when you finish the ride relieve the coolant pressure by opening (and closing tight!) cap on the reservoir while it is still hot - be careful.

I know- it is stupid method, but it works for a time being. laugh.gif

This is the article in question. It deals with solving a combined oil and coolant leak, so don't be put off by references to oil leaks!

At this point it's worth saying another thank you to PaulW for an invaluable resource for A8 enthusiasts! 169144-ok.gif

mine seems to have developed a bit of a thirst for coolant over the last week or so frown.gif

i usually get the light come on after a hard left hand corner! topped it up a couple of times in last week but light came on AGAIN today!

had a quick peep under the bonnet & there are some coolant stains just under the bottle so i'm guessing the bottle has a slight leak around the seam, i've got a tank coming tomorrow so i'l fit it on Saturday along with the rear pads that have also decided its time to quit ROLLEY~14.GIF

hopefully this will fix my problem but if not i'll put it on my lift at work & check my oil cooler/heat exchanger for leaks also, i've just got that sinking feeling that i'm going to have to take a couple of days off & use them to replace the water pump, it looks do-able but it looks a bit of a mammoth task UHOH7.GIF