Wet weather? Get a Quattro

cruiser647

What a genius device!

Wet roundabout? no problem, foot down and round ya go. Anybody close behind you is left well behind.

My first experience of Quattro was in an A8 4.2, brand new on a dealer display day, and I scooted round a small wet roundabout in Hitchin at the bottom of the A505, (Scooby Simon will know it), just after the Texaco garage. Just put your foot down, and round she goes. No slipping, no sliding - just grip!

[ QUOTE ]

Wet weather ? DONT get a rusty old MX5 ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I like approaching bends and roundabouts in the rain in the MX-5 in the same way as I would do in the TT. The white eyed terror as you take them sideways and head towards either the island itself or someone coming the other way makes for exciting days out. 169144-ok.gif

I often get caught out - rainy, island, foot still down - then OMG I remember I'm in the Mazda EEK2.GIF time for evasive action...... iamwithstupid.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like approaching bends and roundabouts in the rain in the MX-5 in the same way as I would do in the TT. The white eyed terror as you take them sideways and head towards either the island itself or someone coming the other way makes for exciting days out. 169144-ok.gif

I often get caught out - rainy, island, foot still down - then OMG I remember I'm in the Mazda EEK2.GIF time for evasive action...... iamwithstupid.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have all that, complete with no abs, no airbag, no sips, very little tread, and a constant drip drip of rinwater on my head .... ahhhh, the joys of REAL driving ! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Heres hoping my soon to arrive GT TDI 4motion behaves in the same manner!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Yes, mine does. Had it 6 months and grip is excellent. Have almost lost it though overdoing it going into a bend. That heavy diesel lump up front causes some understeer if pushed. It is good but no WRX.

Great fun exiting corners and roundabouts with all that torque on tap low down in the revs. Leaves everything else behind.

I tried a full throttle standing start in the pouring rain yesterday. ( empty country road ). Full traction from all 4 wheels, no spin at all and a very fast getaway. It is a strange sensation as the power feeds to the rear wheels and pushes you forward.

Biggest surprise though has been the high speed stability. It is so solid on the motorway at cruising speeds. 80mph at 2300 revs and 45 mpg.

Fantastic car and very rare, I have only seen one other.

[ QUOTE ]

I have all that, complete with no abs, no airbag, no sips, very little tread, and a constant drip drip of rinwater on my head .... ahhhh, the joys of REAL driving ! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No ABS - I reminded myself what that was like when I avoided a rabbit on the Fosse way one night - OMFG EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF I nearly ended up round the tree on the other side of the road. SAUER0421.GIF Learning point - hit anything in the way rather than brake and swerve. I've not had a car without ABS for years - its a great driving wake up call! Don't know if I've got an airbag either. But my roof doesn't leak!! grin.gif

Fantastic, im hoping it should be with me next week. Its a company car, Diamond Black 3dr with 17" Grand Prix alloys and RCD 500.

I've had a bit of a game getting it but its on its way now.......he says! I currently drive a Focus 2.0l petrol and if there is one thing that it does well, its handling so i'm looking forward to the 4WD experience! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, gotta be careful.

I remember trying to keep up with J_C in the A4 heading to the Windsor meet and off the roundabouts the rears very eager to free there grasp on the tarmac.

Far far far better on the Goodyear GS-D2's than the Avons it had when I got it though, they were lethal in the wet EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Who needs Quattro, when you have FWD and a heavy engine? Roundabout? What roundabout? I'm going straight on over it... coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif

I know that feeling! grin.gif

Usually assisted with popping the window down and screaming "INCOMING..."

Bloody FWD.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No ABS - I reminded myself what that was like when I avoided a rabbit on the Fosse way one night - OMFG EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF I nearly ended up round the tree on the other side of the road. SAUER0421.GIF Learning point - hit anything in the way rather than brake and swerve. I've not had a car without ABS for years - its a great driving wake up call! Don't know if I've got an airbag either. But my roof doesn't leak!! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

795486-DSCN0280%28Small%29.JPG

Looking at the steering wheel, I'm seeing little in the way of an airbag UHOH7.GIF

For full effect you need to drive with the roof down in the rain anyway wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remembered what it was like without ABS the other day when I stopped at a roundabout only to hear a Rover behind me tyres locked up, he missed me by about 6 inches smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

795486-DSCN0280%28Small%29.JPG

Looking at the steering wheel, I'm seeing little in the way of an airbag UHOH7.GIF

For full effect you need to drive with the roof down in the rain anyway wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No airbag, but 100k miles less than my rust bucket (see pic). RE the fosseway, are you in Leics ?

post-9680-137914360469_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

remembered what it was like without ABS the other day when I stopped at a roundabout only to hear a Rover behind me tyres locked up, he missed me by about 6 inches

[/ QUOTE ]

A truly horrible noise. Takes a while to figure out what the noise is, when the road is wet! crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Heres hoping my soon to arrive GT TDI 4motion behaves in the same manner!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so you know 4MO is the same as Quattro in the TT and S3, not the same as Quattro in the bigger cars, ie A4, A6, etc.

But with 4MO (Haldex) you get FWD when its doesn't need to be 4WD and when you start to lose grip at the front power is put to the rear in the blink of an eye.

I have owned both Quattro (Torsen) and 4MO (haldex) cars and both have the advantages over the other......... I see a lot of fun being had in a high powered diesel (torque) with a torque based 4WD system like Haldex.

Have fun in the TDI 4MO smile.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Do the scumball stickers make it go faster?

[/ QUOTE ]

Faster than your car probably, and it raises more money for charity too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah woah I wasn't taking the piss...

I think you're doing a great thing with the charity stuff! 169144-ok.gif

Sorry if it came accross that way

I think that in weather like this, any decent 4WD will do. So far I haven't had the confidence to push in my C4S in the same way as I did my S3, but I'm looking forward to investigating how it reacts!! I think the Porsche 4WD system is 5%/95% front/rear in normal driving, and 40%/60% in extreme conditions. Either way, the rear bias should be felt when powering out of wet corners !!

sidicks