Looking to purchase an S8

Kaneda55

Hi there, I'm currently looking to buy an S8 as I've wanted one for a long time and I really feel the need to have a V8 car. I've just got a few concerns... My previous car was tweeked Skyline GTR so I'm aware that the S8 isn't going to be in the same league for performance but that isn't the issue. The Skyline though awesome was a constant worry for something to break and generally a money pit and I don't want be putting myself in the same position again. So my question is how reliable are they? I realise this is a rather generalised question as "poo happens" bassically but with the Skyline you had to chuck a couple of grand a year at it just to keep the thing running, though I never really had any major problems. If this is the same with owning an S8 then I think I'll have to pick a different car.

I was also wanting to put an aftermarket exhaust on but looked at the Milltek and am not very impressed with quality for money plus I've got a funny feeling it wouldn't be as loud as I'd like it. Anybody know of any other makes (apart from MTM as they're ridiculously expensive) or would it be best to get one custome made?

Anyway thanks for your time and I hope you can help.

Neil

Hi Neil!

Welcome aboard-the-good-ship TSN! beerchug.gif

www.audipages.com is your first port-of-call. You can bone up on the 8's there. The S8 will cost you lots, I guess anything of the ilk the aint Japanese will. But prolly not on the scal of your old Datsun... I mean Nissan! wink.gif My 8 used to cost me about £2500 a year with servicing/tyres etc. The last few years it has cost loads less. I am doing half the mileage mow too....

I dount have an S8, but I do need one! grin.gif

If your anywhere near the Midlands and you want to see what a Milltek is like then give me a shout. They are very well made but the odd time that I've had a problem with them(I've had about 12 cars with Millteks fitted) Milltek could not have been better. In fact a few years back I happened to mention to them that the Milltek stamp on one of the exhausts was a little to one side, they replied by saying that they would have another in the post to me in the morning, I didn't take the offer but that will give you some sort of idea what they're like.

As for running cost, no matter what or who it is made by if it has a V8 it's going to cost money to run. The worst thing that owners do is let the little things build up until it becomes a big thing.

As for the S8 not been as quick as the Skyline well the two are totaly different cars and the Skyline isn't always what people think, my friend burnt a R34 in his Golf TDi van(albeit a very tuned van) and yes the R34 driver was trying

Thanks for the replys all. I understand that you have to keep on top of the general 'wear and tear' items but was wondering if there was certain parts that had a tendancy to break. For example I've read quite a few times that people have had to have a new gearbox. This was somewhat put at ease a little when I read a few posts stating that a service for the box can cure a lot of ailments that might be occuring.

I was wondering if anybody could also help with some of the trim combinations. I'm ideally after a dark S8 (Black, green or ming blue) with black leather interior, but I havn't seen one for sale yet. Did this combination exist or were all of them made to order so it's purely by chance?

Whats an S8 performance like compared to an S4 (V6). These were supposed to be pretty fast but when I went out in a standard one I almost thought I was gonna fall asleep. It could be that it was not very healthy one but...

I found last night that the Supersprint back box looks quite nice so I'd be tempted to get one of those with the front cross over pipe and get a custom centre section manufactured without any box.

Cheers again

Neil

These Audi's are meant to cross continents in comfort. If they gave a major buzzz from behind the wheel you need to stop for a rest every couple of hours. Both the S4 and S8 are basically executive cruisers, but with some added 'X'. If you wanna feel the speed buy a Caterham! grin.gif

I have had very limited S8 experiences, but, but like all 8's, they can feel very underwhelming frown.gif. Sure they’re fast, but the feel is benign coffee.gif (IMHO). The only advice I can give you is that I’d buy one today if I had the gelt! 169144-ok.gif Its sound like you, like me, need summit a bit more raw!! ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

169144-ok.gif You, like me, need summit a bit raw!! ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, that's the thing I've had the stripped out racers for many years so I'd like to try something new. I'm kinda trying to avoid the chav like image you seem to get a lot more these days with modifiying. I've never really one to be fussed about interiors and comfort but I went and had a look at an S8 last weekend and it's something I really could live with. Sooo much more comfortable than the Bentley GT that I sat in a few weeks before. The git at the trader wouldn't take me for a test drive, probably didn't think I was a serious buyer. frown.gif

If you're used to big power Nissans the S8 might at first feel underwhelming.

I have a mildly tuned Z32 300ZX and I've chased it in my A8. The Z is faster and feels it, but the A8 was never that far behind.

Compared to a turbocharged engine the 4.2 V8 generates very linear acceleration, further masked by the autobox and muted engine noise. You'll soon realise that the speedo is a better (and safer) means of judging your speed!

Given these things I think you'll find that the charms of an S8 grow over time as you come to appreciate its blend of abilities. Instead of becoming irritated by the harsh ride, attention-grabbing appearance and need to always drive the GTR hard, you'll appreciate the (relative) ride quality, stealthiness and flexibility of the S8 more and more. These cars have depth 169144-ok.gif

I'm too worried about the performance so long as it makes up for it in other ways. I had been contemplating getting an MX5, though rather slow (by comparisson to my other cars) I really liked the idea of small rear wheel drive that you could chuck around and have fun with, until that is my fiancee pointed out that she'd leave me if I bought one of them LOL. one thing I've learned is More power = more money and stress!

Neil

Having owned an A8 and a MX5 recently I feel qualified to give an opinion the_finger.gif

The A8 was an awesome car, did everything it was designed to do and more, I felt very safe in it and had to prise the grin off my face when I got out of it, there's no getting away from the fact the reason they depreciate so much is the astronomical costs of maintenance when they go wrong, secondhand parts and the advice given on here helps minimise that cost but don't expect it to be cheap to run.

My MX5 was a 1.6, nothing like the power of the A8 but boy was it fun, the sort of car you can throw at a bend knowing it's going exactly where you point it, 100% confidence.

This time of year(if the sun ever comes out) I wouldn't hesitate to get another, if you could find a BBS turbo MX5 you wouldn't be disappointed with it, if not 1.8 may be a better bet than the 1.6 as it has a bit more power

[ QUOTE ]

If you're used to big power Nissans the S8 might at first feel underwhelming.

I have a mildly tuned Z32 300ZX and I've chased it in my A8. The Z is faster and feels it, but the A8 was never that far behind.

Compared to a turbocharged engine the 4.2 V8 generates very linear acceleration, further masked by the autobox and muted engine noise. You'll soon realise that the speedo is a better (and safer) means of judging your speed!

Given these things I think you'll find that the charms of an S8 grow over time as you come to appreciate its blend of abilities. Instead of becoming irritated by the harsh ride, attention-grabbing appearance and need to always drive the GTR hard, you'll appreciate the (relative) ride quality, stealthiness and flexibility of the S8 more and more. These cars have depth 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY GOOD advice in this post, sums it up well 169144-ok.gif

i had wanted an S8 for years for probably the same reason as everyone else! and recently saw them available for sensible money so i went & drove one, i've had smaller fast cars with big turbos etc for years & wanted something a bit more sophisticated (for want of a better word)

i was underwhelmed when i drove the car on the test drive as it is more a long surge of power rather than short loud sharp blasts of acceleration that you get from turbo'd manual cars & initially doesn't feel that fast coffee.gif

however, after owning the car for a couple of weeks now & having done getting on for 2,000 miles (can't stop driving the bl00dy thing ECLIPSe.gif) it has really impressed me & its a real "grower" jump.gif

you can waft along cruising at silly speeds with no effort at all AND when the need arises kick it down & howl it up to the limiter which is found fairly quickly the_finger.gif

in the dry you can chuck it into corners/roudabouts like a GTI & probably get out of the corner even quicker than the GTI!

its VERY surefooted in the wet and just seems to do everything so well, they look good, well equipped, comfortable, fast, stylish did i say fast LOL....

the list could go on................

i'd recommend one to anyone, truly amzing car

suffice it to say i'm smitten heart.gif

jump.gif

Hi Neil, Welcome to TSN

I've had my S8 now for 2yrs and while there not what you'd call quick of the mark there not slouch either, but it's the mid range and ability to cruise effortlessly thats what there built for.

Running costs can be expensive but it's a V8 that drinks like fish beerchug.gif

Most 8's are also spec'd new by the owner and most i've seen seem to be dark car light interior and vice versa.

Loads of advice on here when you need it but all i'd say is get a decent test drive in one and see if you can live with it 169144-ok.gif

Not that I'm too worried about the fuel consumption as I don't do a vast amount of miles, I'm just curious as to what people seem to get. My Skyline was pretty horriffic getting almost up to 200 miles (and thats with a fair bit of crusing) on £50 which I worked out to about 15mpg. One of the last nights I had it I managed to get 7 miles out of £10 worth of fuel ECLIPSe.gif

Anyway don't get me wrong as I've always wanted an S8 as I think they're great looking without having to "show off" (not to mention the "to die for" interior) and I realise that they're built for a different purpose to that of the GTR but I'm just worried that it's a car that is very high maintenance. After owning an Lancia EVO and Skyline it kinda tires you out.

Neil

as i'm still a fairly new owner & i seem to keep booting mine around a bit & i'm averaging about 17-18mpg!

(that figure includes some speed limiter testing! new car & all that wink.gif)

however i went on a 300 mile round trip at the weekend & averaged 26.4mpg, you cant ask for any more than that 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

as i'm still a fairly new owner & i seem to keep booting mine around a bit & i'm averaging about 17-18mpg!

(that figure includes some speed limiter testing! new car & all that wink.gif)

however i went on a 300 mile round trip at the weekend & averaged 26.4mpg, you cant ask for any more than that 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here - new to S8's but not to A8's in general. The best thing so far apart from the effortless surge of power cool.gif is that the S handles a lot like the somewhat smaller A4 2.8 sport I previously had - an excellent example of just how good the suspension setup is.

I've not grinned so much since I had my SAAB 9000 Aero tweeked to 300bhp smile.gif

As for exhausts, the Milltek is usually the 'done thing' but custom exhausts don't usually cost much more - probably £400ish for cat back systems.

£400?!! Try £850 for a Milltek shocked.gif Like I said before it might be wise to go for a Supersprint back box and get a custom company to make the rest. It's actually quite a toughy trying to figure out how loud to go. I really really want to hear the revvy V8 but I don't want to end up destroying the image of the S8! confused.gif

Now click on the link below and then on the little speaker below the S8 picture. That's what I want to hear! FIREdevil.gif

http://www.german-exhaust.de/content/blogsection/22/137/

Neil

I wasnt very impressed with the quality of the Milltek systems that they had on display at Autosport the bends and welding werent as good as I would expect for a system that isnt exactly cheap, I ended up with a custom system from EPS in Holland, have a listen 169144-ok.gif(technically this is Svens car but mine has the same system)

S8 Exhaust Soundclip

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Now click on the link below and then on the little speaker below the S8 picture. That's what I want to hear!

[/ QUOTE ]

It that a S8 I wonder, it's not an auto so if it is a S8 then a rare manual

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds more like a Ducati than an S8 to me.