A8 Quattro: Sport or non-sport

StuartL

I'm in the process of selecting an A8 and have seen quite a few already, none of which I'm entirely happy with. All of the ones I've seen are the "Sport" model, or I assume they are on account of the three spoke steering wheel with the red/silver badge.

I've read on AudiPages that the "Sport" model has 20mm lower suspension and I read on Parkers that they have that three spoke steering wheel. Are these the only differences between the sport and non-sport? Is the suspension setup any different or is it just lower? Are there any differences to the gear ratios, transmission kick-down etc?

Has anyone reading this driven both the sport and non-sport? Is there a noticeable difference? Do either deal with certain road conditions and driving styles better than the other?

TIA,

Stuart

There are quite a few other differences. My son NikW is the expert because he has a Sport. The important difference is that you get the excellent electric sport seats and similar suspension to the S8. Gear ratios are the same as the ordinary car (the S8 has shorter gearing). Not sure about the gear change program but, in any event, you can change that with VAGCOM. Should also have 18 inch alloys with 245/45 tyres on the sport.

The most easily spotted differences other than the suspension are the wheels and seats.

Wheels - 18" 7 spoke design fitted with 245/45s instead of 17" 5 spoke (225s?).

Seats - Heavily bolstered electrically adjustable heated Nappa leather Recaros with memory on the driver's side, versus flat, unheated (as standard) ones. The most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in.

There are also a few other smaller, less obvious features (e.g. double glazing, heated steering wheel) which were standard on the Sport instead of being cost options.

The two clinchers for me are (1) the lowered, stiffened suspension which is, as far as I can tell, identical to that of contemporary S8s and (2) those fabulous seats. They are the reason I just wouldn't consider a non-Sport car.

Have a look at my car in the Gallery (click on the link below). Any others in there with the same wheels are likely to be Sport models.

Nik

P.S. Bugger. After taking a break to watch this week's Top Gear & Doctor Who I see I've been beaten to the punch by Dad!

Thank you both for your speedy responses! I now have a new set of questions smile.gif

If a non-sport has the memory seats fitted, are these seats the same bolstered seats as the sport? How does the nappa leather seat option fit with all of this?

How can you tell if a car has the double glazing? Is there an obvious visual difference in the windows?

The only cars I've seen with the ski-panel are non-sport. Was this not an option on the sport model?

Thanks again!

Stuart

[ QUOTE ]

If a non-sport has the memory seats fitted, are these seats the same bolstered seats as the sport?

[/ QUOTE ] Nope!

[ QUOTE ]

How can you tell if a car has the double glazing? Is there an obvious visual difference in the windows?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is double glazing confused with laminated glass all around the car? Open a window and look at the top edge of the glass, you can see the triple layers. I'll check what it-says-on-the-tin later!

[ QUOTE ]

The only cars I've seen with the ski-panel are non-sport. Was this not an option on the sport model?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno m8!

I've just had a st^H^Hdealer tell me that there's no noticeable difference in the drive between a non-sport and a sport. I find this very hard to believe in the knowledge that the tyres are wider and thinner (18" alloys meaning that there's less tyre absorbtion of bumps) and the suspension is 20mm lower. Is he talking hairy donkey balls or is the drive pretty much the same?

I have an early sport and the ride is pitiful, but I have not had the pleasure of the standard car. I considered changing it, but I don’t know how much better new springs and shocks would make the ride. If it rode as supple as the S8’s I have been in, I’d change the setup tomorrow!

Well, I haven't driven a non-Sport D2, but going by the (very few) mid-90s articles covering the A8 in Car magazine the Sport suspension is a heck of a lot stiffer, so much so that they thought it ruined the ride.

Sports are stiff, and in common with most sporty German executives of the period they're not good at small bump suppression, but the pay-off is poise and agility which far exceed expectations for such a big, heavy car. Despite what the stealer said, I can't see anyone mistaking a non-Sport for a Sport.

Should the need arise, a 4.2 quattro Sport (an evocative name in its own right!) is quite capable of embarassing the current crop of hot hatches, and not just in a straight line. Now, if you've grown up enough to resist such behaviour and want an A8 for cruising around in maximum comfort you might prefer the non-Sport (or an S Class grin.gif). If you're a keen driver you definitely want the Sport.

I don't know where you're located, but if you could make your way to a Tyresmoke meet I'm sure one of the faithful would be happy to take you out for a spin and point out which options are which. Have a look in the Gallery for pics of meets and choose one which has plenty of A8s. The Milton Keynes meet (my local), for example, usually has at least three Sports in attendance. There's nothing in the Meets & Trackdays forum yet (Chris! ROLLEY~14.GIF) but we usually meet on the first Tue/Wed of the month, i.e. 6/7 June. You're unlikely to meet a more friendly, car-obsessed bunch!

Yes you can notic the difference between sport and non sport

No you can't get the sport seats in a non sport

A lot of the difference in driving the sport is down to the seats but the ride is a little harder and lower

The S8 is lower and harder again but seems to ride better over humps and so-on

If it were me then I wouldn't even look at the non sport

I like the ride to be hardish,(p!ssoff with the smart coments everyone) that's why I'm going for coilovers

[ QUOTE ]

The S8 is lower and harder again but seems to ride better over humps and so-on

[/ QUOTE ] No, you can feel the diff between my 1996 spt and later S8's by gently pulling away! mad.gifblush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Amen-to-that Brother Will22! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I like the ride to be hardish,(p!ssoff with the smart coments everyone) that's why I'm going for coilovers

[/ QUOTE ] Us! Smartassed comments? UHOH7.GIF Surely not wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen-to-that Brother Will22!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Before buying my non-sport second-hand I test drove a couple of sports. They were a lot stiffer and give a far better feeling of being in control. I ended up buying the non-sport simply because I felt it was a better deal than the sports I could find at the time.

The non-sport is very comfortable over the bumps and you can take speed-humps at pretty well any speed without really feeling them! However, it's too soft for my liking. You get used to it but there's a lot of roll when you're cornering hard. Also, as discussed in a previous post, I've grounded the cats a couple of times because the suspension is so floppy (well, actually it's probably really 'cos I was going over humps and dips too fast UHOH7.GIF)

So, given the choice, I'd go for the sport any day. 169144-ok.gif ...they look a lot cooler too cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

you can take speed-humps at pretty well any speed without really feeling them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Try that fast in my sport and you land on your roof in the next county! Slow down a tad and you only end up in the local spinal unit! mad.gif As I said, the S8's I've been in were far better damped!

[ QUOTE ]

Try that fast in my sport and you land on your roof in the next county! Slow down a tad and you only end up in the local spinal unit! As I said, the S8's I've been in were far better damped!

[/ QUOTE ]Didn't realise they were that hard Sneaky EEK2.GIF

Until reading this thread I'd assumed the suspension on the S8 and the Sport was the same. How have they made them different? confused.gif Different springs?... dampers?... I assume the geometry's the same? Are they the same ride height?

I'd been wondering about replacing my 3.7Q - had been thinking about either a 4.2Q Sport or an S8 and I'd been a bit confused about the differences between them (will just be a facelift D2 I'm afraid - can't afford a D3 frown.gif ..... yet! grin.gif)

This has helped clarify things a bit - thanks guys. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Didn't realise they were that hard Sneaky EEK2.GIF

Until reading this thread I'd assumed the suspension on the S8 and the Sport was the same. How have they made them different?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to factor in the fact that my springs and dampers are 10yrs old this year. I have always assumed that the dampers are fooked. Around London the ride is abysmal, on the motorway its ok. Hit a bump tho! blush.gif

After driving pre-facelift Sports and facelift S8s I came to the conclusion that the S8s had more compliance in the suspension. They're just as stiff as the Sports but a bit smoother over small bumps (this is with the standard 18" wheels). I suspect that this is the result of changes made to the suspension on the facelift models and would therefore expect a facelift Sport to be the same.

I haven't driven a prefacelift S8, but based upon the selection of cars I have driven I'm pretty sure that the suspension is identical to a contemporary Sport.

Finally, as Sneaky notes, most of our prefacelift Sports have covered over 100k on the original dampers and if the rest of the suspension is anything to go by they're probably due for replacement. I would expect this to reduce the suspension's ability to cope with small bumps too.