Tuning - The next step?

spencer

Hi there

Am enjoying the R32. My Mk4 is superb - it has a Milltek Cat back exhaust which sounds great!!

Just one thing - i'm after more power! Its seems to get a bit breathless over 5500rpm. I'm not sure whether a remap by Revo or AMD would sort this out??

Also I'm interested in doing something with the catalytic converters, i have to say i'm finding that £750 would be a bitter pill to swallow to buy the sports cats from AMD....I have seen the Supersprint decat pipe for a mere £150....legalities of MOT aside...i'm pondering this option...any thoughts??

I would like some more power and to reduce the top end breathlessness....???

I'm thinking BMC induction, remap and decats.....

Any thoughts would be appreciated 169144-ok.gif

Decat sounds intresting, but i reckon it's worth looking into getting a better exhuast manifold aswell, cause that seems to be one of the more restrictive parts on the R32.

Revo would help with all round power, but the R32 is still quite breathless up top, as the engine is more about mid range punch.

Cams would help top end, but you're talking quite a lot of money

I think I read somewhere that the standard manifold is not worth replacing as it is pretty efficient already. I think Supersprint are the only company doing a manifold as well and you can bet your bottom dollar it won't fit RHD cars due to the power steering pump!

Mook will be here soon to add his expertise but the best combination of mods would be:

Remap - £500

CCAI - £300

High pressure fuel regulator - £200 ?

Hi Flow cats - £750

And all this adds up to 312bhp (can't remember the torque figure but its pretty impressive), a massive hike in insurance costs and the thought that maybe its time to start saving for a supercharger instead for a 'bolt on' 320bhp for £5K!

Has anyone here actually decatted? Surely with a bolt in and out method you could just put your CAT back in at MOT time....roadside tests by the boys in blue aside this must be a great way of getting more power for not much £££ if the sport cats are so effective then this must be even better?

[ QUOTE ]

Remap - £500

CCAI - £300

High pressure fuel regulator - £200 ?

Hi Flow cats - £750

And all this adds up to 312bhp (can't remember the torque figure but its pretty impressive

[/ QUOTE ]

can't image these mods getting you from 240 to 312hp (or anything near that) are you sure a SC hasn't been added into the equation????

Slider - I wouldn't bother with the de-cat pipes. Apart from the minimal gain over running hi-flow sports cats (which will give you between 6 and 8bhp depending on what else you've had done) you'll have to get the ECU reprogrammed to ignore the feedback from the lambda probes.

Just getting a remap on your car will make a big difference and should take it up to 270 bhp (AmD Stage 2), which will allow the engine to take advantage of the better breathing introduced by having the Milltek on it.

See Dan32's list above if you want anything close to 300+ bhp, but yes, don't forget the cams.

Best thing to do is to get yourself along to a meet and ask if someone who's had mods done will take you out in their car, so you've got a direct comparison. I'll be at Windsor this Wednesday 31st May and also at the Midlands Meet on Wednesday 7th June if that's any help.

I've posted this before, but be warned, once you start modifying, you're on a slippery slope, which doesn't really stop as you always end up wanting more.

Just to set the record straight, you'll get 330 bhp by adding a VF supercharger, a Milltek cat back exhaust and an AmD remap, but prepare to part with over £5K.

HTH

beerchug.gif

You quite rightly say 5k Mook but to get a new R32 at the same speck as my MK4 will be around the 10k mark. Big dilema next year, do i part with my beloved for the newer model or do i spend the 5k on making it a stealth fighter and hope nothing goes tits up confused.gif