Amsterdam Hotel advice

lottiefox

Bit of a TSN mini meet in Amsterdam in August booked for a couple of nights (a very mini meet!! wink.gif) - has anyone got any good hotel recommendations? We want to be near the main sights/sites, something that is clean and comfortable with decent facilities and access to places, but not after five star luxury as we'll be out eating cakes wink.gif

I've had a look on the web and lots of hotels seem to be way out of the City which is NONO3.GIF

Plus, I'm guessing that links from Schipol into the city are easy and frequent? grin.gif Whats best - bus/taxi or parachute? cool.gif

Any must sees? (apart from the obvious!)

Thanks all! 169144-ok.gif

Some good tram/metro links via the main type of business hotels which are out of town.

I've stayed at some really nice hotels and some real dives when I've visited Amsterdam but one of the best for location/price was probably the Mecure hotel which is a little out of town but serviced by a good metro link about 5 mins walk away.

Schipol Airport to the city is really easy as the train station is sort of underneath the airport.

Get a ticket from the office and then hop straight onto the train. There are two stops, the RAI (Which is the big conference centre place) and also the Centrum (Town centre funnily enough). Depending on your hotel location would depend on where to get off.

Have fun eating the cake but take my advice and don't have more than one piece at a time.......

We stayed at

Leidse Square Hotel Amsterdam

could not ask for a better place , payed around £30 a night , was lovely ! only 5 mins walk from leidse square about 15 from the red lights smile.gif we saw a LOT of horid looking hotels but if i was staying again i would only go here ! they also did a bus service back to the airport for £10 so was well happy with that !

[ QUOTE ]

There are two stops, the RAI (Which is the big conference centre place) and also the Centrum (Town centre funnily enough

[/ QUOTE ]This is not exactly true. There are trains that stop at the RAI, but they don't go to Amsterdam Centraal. Trains that go to Centraal may also stop at Lelylaan and Sloterdijk. You can find infomation about the trains here, and info about the trams here. I can highly recommend getting a 2,3, or 4 day tram ticket (more info here) - it makes getting around so much easier and is cheaper than using the strip cards.

Why not try the flats/apartments that you can rent for a weekend, last time i when to amsterdam i stayed in one and it was great, clean and tidy. On the down side it was basic and in a area where cars cannot get to but only 5mins on a bike (3 were supplied with the apartment) to the town centre. 4 of us stayed in one apartment and it was 75 euros each.

The one must see is the "Moulin Rogue Club" where it is a great stage show (for men and women), the drinks are not over priced and only 25 euros to get in and it is funny when the performers get people from the audience on stage, i had to eat a banana on stage when i was drag up on stage (those that have been there will know where the banana was sekret.gif)

• 1 month later...