DSG vs F599

jhibbin

Since my GTi is at the menders I'm left with only acedemic tit bits, but did anyone else see Fifth Gear tonight?

Tiff drove the new F599 and didn't like it but interestingly he commented that Ferrari have improved the semi-auto gear change to 100ms, and he commented that the F1 car is around 30ms.

I have seen various times for the DSG upshift between 8 and 80 ms ; VW seem to claim 40ms (linky ).

As I said all fairly acedemic but still amazing that a £170K F599 is not as fast on the upshift as a £22K Golf GTI. shocked.gif

Interestingly it was Jason Plato who raved about the VW/Audi DSG when testing the GTI, also on Fifth Gear.

And Andy Walsh at Car Limits rates the VAG system way above the equivalent Ferrari or BMW one. Note on Fifth Gear how Tiff complained about the surging of the Ferrari box.... Very different to how smooth the VAG DSG really is 169144-ok.gif

In the MKIV R32 with DSG(in Europe), it was torque that was limiting factor with upgrades. Can't remember what VW rated the box at but wasn't as high as the standard gearbox. Have heard that there is a turbo'ed DSG R32 in europe so assuming there is a way around this or it has been strengthened which means it could handle 400+bhp.

[ QUOTE ]

a veyron 100bhp monster...!

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm sure you meant to write "1,000bhp" 169144-ok.gif.

Torque is the major consideration for DSG I understand. I am also told that, as a rule of thumb, VW generally have a +40% 'safe headroom' in their cars without more major modifications being done.

[ QUOTE ]

As I said all fairly acedemic but still amazing that a £170K F599 is not as fast on the upshift as a £22K Golf GTI. shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif I'm sure Ferrari / Porsche et al are working on a something similar to DSG otherwise as, by design, their current systems will always be slower that the DSG in the Golf 169144-ok.gif

I saw that review too. Looked to me like Tiff got the Needle with Ferrari for leaving him waiting... Hence the poo report. (not enough enjoyable time on the track) Have to say, that Gearbox sounded alot quicker than DSG to me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Ferrari have got the F599 to change in 100ms, that makes it 60ms quicker than the DSG anyway. But to all intense and puroposes, it's splitting hairs. All DSG does is enable F1 speed gearchanges in an everyday "affordable" cars.

It's not "better" than the Ferrari gearbox and does have it's drawbacks IMO.

LeMan> DSG is 60ms quicker than F599 not otherway round.

This makes the "jurk" bigger on gear change as power releases and comes back.

You can argue that DSG is too smooth for that league of sports car and gear changes lack the feel associated with a bit more lag. But honestly I think that Ferrari would have that gear change faster if they could.

Must be a torque thing, note that DSG is not an option for W12 and V10 TDI VAG engines ... you get a "tiptronic" auto box instead.

Ferrari and Porsche will be beavearing away at a DSG style box, infact Porsche even admitted that they were doing so. Well, they didn't say so, but when asked they said the GT3 wouldn't have a dual clutch box, but it's a very good idea and no, of course we're not looking into, you shouldn't expect to see one in a Porsche anytime soon, course not *nudge nudge wink wink*

Ferrari are probably continuing to use a single clutch system in their road cars as dual clutches are banned in F1 and this seems to be where a lot of the road cars technology comes from.

As far as the DSG is concerned, the Bugatti Veyron has 987 bhp and 922 lb.-ft. of torque and runs with a 7 speed DSG, so looks like the technology can handle it.

Mind you the gearbox and engine weigh 650Kg which is about the same as my wifes Lupo shocked.gif

The DSG system is far quicker than the Ferraris single clutch version but I still think that Ferrari probably wont be quick to change to that set up. With the Ferrari boxes now although you are simply clicking a paddle, you can feel it working it still feels mechanical and therefore gives a high level of feedback to the driver. The DSG although very very good, feels almost electric or 'computergamey' and im not sure if Ferrari customers would want that. However I have read that Merc, BMW, Porsche etc are all working on their own version of the dual clutch system so we shall see.

[ QUOTE ]

Amazing how "The People's Car" (Volks Wagen) has always been a leader 169144-ok.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general (not talking DSG here)

They actually just shout louder.

If your into Engineering, Engines and motoring,

You will find with a bit of research that the FIAT group are responsable for a hell of a lot of new tecnology they simply patent it, then just quietly licence it out to other firms.

Were VW normally have to pair up with other companys to bring new tecnology out and then shout loud they developed it and it automatically becomes a VW design.

[ QUOTE ]

The DSG although very very good, feels almost electric or 'computergamey' and im not sure if Ferrari customers would want that.

[/ QUOTE ]

....As you can see from the pic below, I use a Logitech ForceFeedback wheel designed by Momo cos I test some motorsport games for the Mac. I can assure you that the GTI's paddles don't feel 'computergamey' at all imo but I know that many peeps have this criticism. It's the fact that it's so very fast that it perhaps seems 'unreal' by comparison.

828925-LogitechMomo.JPG

And, yes, TSN is open on my screen! 169144-ok.gif

post-10081-137914360977_thumb.jpg

Just for a bit of info....Ricardo (who make the F1 'boxes) designed and made the 'box for the Veryon. It is a dual clutch system design ..... but to say it is an 'uprated' version of the GTi 'box with a bit of modding is stretching a bit jump.gif

PS Get my DSG tomorrow jump.gif