DSG

Bonzo

I've driven my MkV R32 with DSG for a few weeks now and wonder if my experience of it is similar to anybody elses' out there?

When driving in D mode I notice that the DSG is always too keen to drop down from 5th or 6th in order to 'get going'. Surely the engine in the higher gears has enough power available to accelerate without having to drop to 3rd?

The same behaviour appears to be present in paddle mode. If I'm driving along in 6th and wish to accelerate it seems that very little power actually arrives until I drop to 3rd\4th. Putting my foot down in 6th doesn't give me the 3.2 litre surge I expect.

On many occasions I have felt the need to drop down to 5th in order to get the kick but even then I seem to find my engine doesn't respond. By dropping down to 4th the same non-event appears but when I drop to 3rd the gearshift seems to spur the car into action - this all seems very strikingly similar to the way that D mode in DSG behaves.

I can't help but thinking that DSG always seems to have the major say with regards to what gear I should be in ie: manual mode is nothing more than an 'Ok, I'll let you have some control but not total control' type mode?

I would have expected to have more acceleration power in 6th than the car provides - is this a common experience?

Welcome to Tyresmoke Bonzo 169144-ok.gif

The surge of power you're after is not as much to do with the DSG, but the torque characteristics of the R32 engine.

Assuming you're got an un-modified car, you'll not notice any massive surge until you get up to around 3,500 to 4,000 rpm, even though maximum torque kicks in a lot lower down the rev range at 1750 rpm.

I run a manual Mk4 R32 and (before it was modified) I used to have to use the gears a lot to get it to do what I wanted it to. The close ratio 6 speed manual 'box makes it very easy to get more out of the car.

Your car will have a "sweet spot" which will change over time, as the engine "loosens up" - you need to treat the DSG 'box in the same way as you would a manual 'box, in that you need to use the gears more than you might expect.

HTH

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Welcome to Tyresmoke Bonzo 169144-ok.gif

The surge of power you're after is not as much to do with the DSG, but the torque characteristics of the R32 engine.

Assuming you're got an un-modified car, you'll not notice any massive surge until you get up to around 3,500 to 4,000 rpm, even though maximum torque kicks in a lot lower down the rev range at 1750 rpm.

I run a manual Mk4 R32 and (before it was modified) I used to have to use the gears a lot to get it to do what I wanted it to. The close ratio 6 speed manual 'box makes it very easy to get more out of the car.

Your car will have a "sweet spot" which will change over time, as the engine "loosens up" - you need to treat the DSG 'box in the same way as you would a manual 'box, in that you need to use the gears more than you might expect.

HTH

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not wrong Mook, mine is standard (apart from the 6463) and if ive just put it into 3rd and im doing between 30 and 40 then put the foot hard to the floor then the "sweet spot" is found as it just fly's, much to my amusement. I only parked it up just before England played tonight and im still smiling !! grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I am still running in my DSG car so engine still tight and still not quote sure about the DGS box. So early days but...

D is a useful prog as although it hunts to 6th early it is responsive if you floor it and will rev to limiter.

S is useless as it holds gear to limiter only - very stressful

tip/paddle - great for twisty b roads and overtaking but best to give a beat between changes - quicker and more control than waiting for computer to sort out 2 dble quick drop downs.

I think you have to learn to work it to best advantage and what i dont' know if it's a learning box.

we all need more time!

[ QUOTE ]

I am still running in my DSG car so engine still tight and still not quote sure about the DGS box. So early days but...S is useless as it holds gear to limiter only - very stressful

[/ QUOTE ]

....Even more stressful on your engine if without the limiter!

You are still running in and the DSG actually has to 'learn' your style of driving. You can override when in S or D at any time with the paddles or slip the stick left into tiptronic manual if you prefer. Also DSG becomes responsive to how you use the throttle and brake pedals.

It takes time to get the feel of DSG and use it to your advantage.

RB32 I'm finding the low spped bit of dsg frustrating. inital take off is not consistent and at it's most diffcult when crusing around chav estates grin.gif

If you turn a 90 degree corner on a trailing throttle say at about 15-20 mph. then go to throttle and you seem to get 2k revs and no drive then 'thunk'

No I dont wear lead boots and have a sensitive right foot but the electronics that control the clutch bite seem to work against rather than with me.

Love to try another to see if it's the nature of the box

Once on the move though it is a stunningly quick change grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

RB32 I'm finding the low spped bit of dsg frustrating. inital take off is not consistent and at it's most diffcult when crusing around chav estates grin.gif

If you turn a 90 degree corner on a trailing throttle say at about 15-20 mph. then go to throttle and you seem to get 2k revs and no drive then 'thunk'

No I dont wear lead boots and have a sensitive right foot but the electronics that control the clutch bite seem to work against rather than with me.

Love to try another to see if it's the nature of the box

Once on the move though it is a stunningly quick change grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought it was just me. When i pull away I sense the electronics teasing me and then it goes. Of course during that small delay I've pushed the pedal a bit harder and when I does go forward it nearly breaks my neck.

The throttle on my Cupra R was so sensitive that I just had to tease it or it would wheelspin. I agree once on the move it's absolutely brilliant

Hey Guys, Interesting to hear your comments. I've just picked up mine this morning, man , am I enjoying the sound. The car does get a lot of looks as well.Have been experimenting with the DSG quite a bit and am finding that I am prefering to use the stick shift as opposed to S or D for quicker get aways.. 169144-ok.gif

I've started using the box full time in manual. You soon get used to the box's characteristics and time your changes accordingly. Auto is now used soley when in queuing trafic, as it just iritates me constantly when daudling around.

If force yourself to do it for a week, you'll never go back 169144-ok.gif

At last some agrees with me jump.gif

Joking aside I find it frustrating that a box that can change gear in .3 sec takes a whole long second to engage the clutch on take off.

Will have to try stick when goingf slow once run in to see if its better

Off to the lakes this weekend 4 up

look forward to swapping more stories .... on DSG 169144-ok.gif

For all you Mk 5 DSG owners, I posted this DSG frequently asked questions document some months ago to hopefully help in some way for new owners to understand a little more about the functionality of DSG.

The FAQ compares a NA spec Audi TT 3.2 DSG against a Euro Spec DSG R32 Mk4.

The clutch packs never fully disengage buy the way, hence there is always positive drive in D,S,R and MAN, that’s why the car will always creep, so in theory there should be no “second” wait for drive when you “toe-in” the throttle.

I’ve never sensed any lag in take off as you describe in my Mk4, but have not driven a Mk 5 so VW may have changed things like the throttle position sensor, engine/gearbox maps etc compared to the Mk4.

Anyway, happy reading.

Tony Mac.

post-4839-137914363197_thumb.jpg

I am using mine mostly on the paddles / tiptronic now, and using S on roads with lots of roundabouts and for 'exciting moments' grin.gif

I have more or less given up with D as I spend a lot of time in urban traffic and it has some strange habits.

I will be wanting to pull away with a 'bit' more power. Put my foot down a modest amount and it will drop from 6th to 2nd and scream off-when 3rd or 4th would have been fine.

All good points! Share Silver Arrows frustration at getting on the move smoothly and consistently and yes I get the thunks too. Have tried paddles but have got myself in bother turning right at a T - still in first, wheel right round, now where the eff is that + paddle oh god it's 180 degs over there and i'm at 6000 revs in 1st and now i'm straight and few finally some smooth progress... now do Ts in D but there's that hesitation as drive takes up which is not great (minor B rd onto busy A)... hmmm - still learning - might try usung the tip stick.

Thanks for the FAQ tonymac. I hate the box reverting to auto 12 seconds after using the paddles in D or S. Can this be reprogrammed so that it only reverts after holding the upshift paddle for 2 seconds (as seems to be with the euro spec)?

5.5K on the car and still learning about the box but really beginning to enjoy it now (well maybe not D below 35 - a real pain in the butt wimp mode) No take off lag on mine but then I'm invariably in S when stationary.

RB32 > See if always holding both your hands at 'quarter-to-three' position (next to the paddles) and not 'ten-to-two' helps. I always use S-mode when a fast getaway is needed.

Since doing the CarLimits course I now always drive 'quarter-to-three' - Much better 169144-ok.gif.

• 2 weeks later...

So , the car in now run in and i've been experimenting with the DSG at higher revs. Firstly I have noticed that in S mode I can change up gears without having to go to the limiter if I am gentle and tease the throttle at around 3/4k revs, it will change up.

D , as others have posted I just use for dawdling around town.

I've got to say that at the moment I am not totally convinced at the response times in S mode. I was trying some kick downs in 4th to 3rd , and 3rd to 2nd, ie: cruising along at say 3.5/4k revs and putting the accelerator right to the floor to the point where it switches into kick down, Now to me, and this is just my opinion, it feels like I gain revs in current gear , computer kicks in and changes down, but this has a lag and feels like the clutch is slipping, really sloppy, feels very automatic, which is it, but I was expecting it to be sharp, I hate the lag I get before the acceleration cuts in..Think i prefer being able to change down with a manual and modulate the clutch as I want , there's much more of a kick with a manual and it feels much more involved, i hate to say it.

So after that experience with the S mode, I thought, oh well , i'll just use manual (stick or paddles) I will get the kick i'm after by pushing the accelerator to the floor hard, but didn't realise that if I kick down the whole way (switch feeling) the DSG changes down a gear and I get that sloppy clutch slipping feeling again EEK2.GIFNONO3.GIF Was really disappointed by this, If i'm in manual/tip mode , I want the gears to change when I tell them to, not have the computer override me!!

Anyway, hoping this is just part of the learning process as others have mentioned and that I will learn , and with time, love... the DSG goodness smlove2.gif

Does anyone know if the mark IV had a fly by wire accelerator/throttle? I don't remember this on my 4MO??

Oh yeah , got a bonus surprise tonight, didn't realise you get light washers as standard, was really surprised to see jets spraying up from below the bonnet!! 169144-ok.gif