Cleaning a Chamois

bpsmith

Ok, been away for a while since selling my A3 T Sport a couple of years ago. Wife is now pregnant and so selling the MX5 in favour of the A2 we just got.

Anyway, before I go off on a tandem, lets get to the question I have.

Just how do you wash a Chamois Leather?

I bought a brand new Meg's Chamois a couple of weeks ago and left it damp in a bag after use, just like I did with my old Auto Glym one, and now it has gone mildew! Then realised the AG one was synthetic and this is not so explains why the dampness wrecked it!?!

Is there any way I can sort it out as paid £15 for one use otherwise ;-) lol

Machine washed it twice and the mildew is gone but stains still there. Dont care about the colour aslong as the mildew is gone but cant get the residue of the powder out!

Should I just bin it and start again with a new one? Or is there another method which is better than a Chamois, such as Water Magnet of Towel?

Cheers.

After using mine, I generally just drape it over a hook in the garage. Then, when I use it next, I give it a good wash in warm water with a drop of fairy liquid. Then I rinse it in clean water several times.

Been doing this for longer than I care to remember with the same chamois and have no complaints.

When I used a chamois I always used to wring it out as much as I could and simply hang it over something to air dry. However, my dad always puts his in a bucket of water. He says they last longer if they're kept wet.

Either way, they always seem to start flaking and ripping eventually, so I'll never go back to them now I have the Water Magnet.