95/98 RON again

Larder

As has been discussed before about which fuel is best for the R32 (MK5) and the agreed feeling is that although 95 is ok 98 is better and the brochure supports this (as does the fuel flap tongue.gif) Anyway I got around to looking in the owners manual and noticed an amendment slip just inside the cover which states 98 Ron only. Surely VW should have made more of this than just putting a slip of paper into the owner’s manual confused.gif

Anyway just thought I would share this info - sorry if a repost

Optimax all the way from now on for me

Ok, supplement - edition 06.2005.

Page 5 technical data for for Golf R32 states "unleaded fuel - super 98 Ron"

It says nothing about 95 Ron or that is should'nt be used - but as Mook says Im sure 95 would be fine untill a fill up with the good stuff can be found.

Also if you have a mixed tank (95 and 98) how does the map figure this out??

[ QUOTE ]

As has been discussed before about which fuel is best for the R32 (MK5) and the agreed feeling is that although 95 is ok 98 is better and the brochure supports this (as does the fuel flap tongue.gif) Anyway I got around to looking in the owners manual and noticed an amendment slip just inside the cover which states 98 Ron only. Surely VW should have made more of this than just putting a slip of paper into the owner’s manual confused.gif

Anyway just thought I would share this info - sorry if a repost

Optimax all the way from now on for me

[/ QUOTE ]

My MK4 runs perfectly well on 95. The inside of the cap says i can use 98. I have no doubt that 98 would be a better fuel for the car and listening to the lads on here says that the car would run better but 98 is very few and far between up here in sunny Hull. My car is a stock R32 with only the 6463 update and it goes like dung.gif off a shovel without gold plated petrol !. If you can find the 98 on a regular basis and can afford to fill up with this every time then im sure you will get a slighty better ride but im not convinced that it is really worth the money for normal driving habits (IMHO of course) 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

but im not convinced that it is really worth the money for normal driving habits (IMHO of course) 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it all depends on how you define 'normal driving habits'

[/ QUOTE ]

Around town driving as apposed track driving is what i meant. Im sure someone will correct me if im off the mark though 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Also if you have a mixed tank (95 and 98) how does the map figure this out??

[/ QUOTE ]

The ECU monitors the output from a shed load of sensors in and around the engine and figures out for itself what it should be doing with the timing (when it lets off a spark) primarily based on the knock sensor and lambda probe output. It has no idea what the difference is between 95, 98 or even 110 octane fuel, but it does know what temperature the cylinder should be running at as well as what the exhaust temperature and exhaust emissions should be.

All clever stuff 169144-ok.gif