Alloy Refurbishment

Fuzzb3k

Hi all,

I was driving through our nice country village this morning on the way to work, when on the opposite side of the road a great big HGV comes hurtling up a small country lane. He made no attempt to avoid me and was well over my side of the road, so thinking that I either go as near the kerb as I can or have my wing mirror knocked off and door scraped I chose to try and avoid him. Arghhh! is it only me that hates HGVs? They seem to be taking over our roads and motorway networks.

Anyway, doing so meant I kerbed my front left alloy wheel around the rim pretty badly so I need it refurbishing or it will annoy the hell out of me.

Can anyone reccomend anyone that does this? I would prefer a mobile service as I can't do without the car for a few days to send them off to be processed.

Cheers! (still fuming after this morning)

Welcome to TSN from another newbie !

Totally agree re: HGV's - I think they are getting worse and they seem to be more and more reckless. I don't think I go a few days without hearing on the travel news about a lorry that's jack-knifed and closed part of the M25...

Not to mention that they ruin road surfaces for the rest of use.

/rant ends

To answer your question, I don't know where you are but I used chipsaway to un-ding my A3 and they made a brilliant job of it. I believe they do alloys as well.

http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/repair/index.asp

Not so convinced by Chipsaway having used them, a good cosmetic job but essentially its a filler and overspray job.

Ideal would be to get the whole wheel stripped back, alloy repair, sprayed, baked and then lacquered as it is a far more durable finish.

There are plenty in the country that can do this so there should be one near you.

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome smile.gif I actually signed up earlier in April when I was waiting for my A4 S line to be built, but haven't been around since then as I've been enjoying the ride too much!

I'm based in Cheshire and work on the outskirts of Manchester so anywhere around that region would be good if you have any reccomendations or suggestions.

Called spit and polish a month or so back... they only come up as far as Luton when collecting alloys. But if you drive down there they will do your whole set in a day.. but I think the guy said you need to be there soemthing like 7.30 in the morning

[ QUOTE ]

I'm off to spain at the end of the week and if you want I can lend you the spare wheel from my S4 It's 18" with 235/40 tyre.

I'm in the midlands.

BTW Spit in polish are very good

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your kind offer, but I would likely be having two wheels redone as I mounted the kerb too quickly a couple of months ago and damaged the rim of the right front alloy a little.