Folding mirrors question

vaix49

Hi,

I have a question about folding mirrors on 1999 facelift S8. The problem is they seem to unfold to far. When they fold up they will be in right place but upon unfolding they go too far out.

Has anybondy any idea how to fix this?

Thank you...

Do you know if they are the original mirrors? I have had a lot of problems with mine and after stripping them down a couple of times discovered that they were not the correct mirrors for the car. This meant that the pegs that stop travel were in the wrong position. Had to cut mine back a bit to get them right, but sounds like you would have to add material to build the stop block up, might be easier to get some from a breaker.

I think they may be not OEM, because when I removed the mirror glass, the case of the mirror had numbers written on, with a black marker. How did you manage to get the wires without damaging the mirror? The heating wires were so stuck that I was afraid to move them...

OK, then it sounds we could have similar problems as mine also had the usual 'breaker yard' scrawl on them. My connectors were also seized, I just WD-40'd the life out of them, left it a while and then pulled. If they are really bad you could cut them off and then rejoin the cable or replace the connector.

The tricky bit is getting to the motor, you need to remove the circlip holding the spring in place (watch your eyes) and then feed the cables through to give you enough play to remove the screws in the bottom.

Because its so fiddly dont start unless you have spare time on your hands, and have a few tubs handy to hold all the bits.