hi, well am thinking of getting one but which do i get? there are not many fixed cameras where i live mostly dodgy men with hair dryers, so i was wondering is the lazer detection on the ra any use or would another product be more useful to myself?

any help much appreciated(sp) beerchug.gif

I'm sure if you do a search on "laser" you'll find plenty of advice. Basically, no - the laser warning on the RA (or any other passive laser detector) is as useful as a chocolate teapot. You need an infra red garage door opener or an infra red parking sensor.

BTW, where, in Derry, are you? I used to go to Foyle College and lived east of the loch, off the Limavady Road (back in the very early 60s).

It's nigh on impossible for any system to provide you with warnings about Police with Point and Shoot devices - because they can only pick them up when they're actually pointed. By which time, as you point out, they've got you.

Furthermore, if you use a garage door opener/closer or any other form of bounce-back device...then they get the error on the gun and you're fecked anyway because they'll pull you over or track you down from your registration number.

I have a Road Angel II and the only criticism I have of it is it's a tad too big. The Compact is much better (it wasn't out when I bought mine in December 2004).

However, the Origin and RoadPilot devices are good and very pocketable too.

Utimately the RAII is simple to configure how you want it, simple to use and install, and effective in my experience.

Sometimes I find it takes a bit too long to pick up a satellite, but 99% of the time it's great and does it's job.

[ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, if you use a garage door opener/closer or any other form of bounce-back device...then they get the error on the gun and you're fecked anyway because they'll pull you over or track you down from your registration number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they're now illegal (well, not garage door open/closers per se, but if you don't have a door that requires the device...then they ask you a lot of questions! If it's purely a blocking mechansim, then you'll be prosecuted now).

[ QUOTE ]

Became illegal in April 2006.

This isn't the best article on it, but it gives you a bit more info. If you dig a bit deeper on 'jammers, illegal and speeding' you'll find a lot more references to it.

Jammer devices made illegal

[/ QUOTE ]

That link doesn't say they are illegal - the case was dropped...

I know that one of the Bills that failed to get through Parliament before the General Election last year would have banned jamers (and laser detectors). But AFAIK no similar measure has been re-introduced.

Unless, of course, you know different ...