ex VW press R32

Rich76

Hello. First post here but I've been checking in for a while. Nice to discover such a friendly forum!

Anyway, I pick up my MKV R in a few days and I have a few basic questions that I was hoping some of you would be happy to answer (apologies if the topics have been raised and dealt with elsewhere):

The car I've bought is an ex VW press car (seen actual press shots of my car online) with approx 3000 miles on the clock. I've watched Rs with similar (nov 05) registrations thrashed to hell on shows like Top Gear and Fifth Gear (I think that's the title of the latter - I watched a YouTube clip) and I was hoping that I hadn't made a mistake by doing so. Bit too late now, and I'm sure it will be fine, but I'm so far from being an expert... am I worrying over nothing?

Anyone know where I can get hold of a set of MK V chrome mirror caps in the UK, as seen as an option here: http://www.vwfeatures.com/gti.html

Like many people, I prefer the GTI wheels to the R32's. A dumb schoolboy question I'm sure, but will the 18" Monzas be OK with the R32 discs and calipers?

Thanks in advance! blush.gif

Hi and welcome to TSN.

I cant help with most of your questions (other clever members will be along shortly) but with regards to has your car been thrashed. Ask yourself if you were given a car to drive as you so wished, how would you drive it? Dont worry because cars these day are built to last, and you still have a long warranty. 169144-ok.gif

Welcome to TSN buddy 169144-ok.gif I personally think it would be quite difficult for anyone to harm that strong 3.2 v6 motor. I don't know for sure but I would imagine that a 'press car' would have been carefully selected and maintained as it would be very much exposed to critical eyes. I know motor show cars are very carefully selected usually from early in production. You may be able to tell of hard use by tyre wear but this would obviously be by no means conclusive wink.gif

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the feedback.

TT, that's a good way of looking at it - hadn't thought of it like that. The 1.6 MKV I'm trading in has been nothing but trouble, electronically (weird ECU death at approx 5000 miles smashfreakB.gif and reoccurring airbag fault warning light ever since; windows with a life of their own) so I'm just hoping I had the proverbial Friday night car and the glitches aren't endemic to the V range... I'm sure they ain't.

Anyone know anything about those chrome caps?

• 2 weeks later...

It's mine! Drives like a dream. Got a friend in the States to order the chrome mirror caps and then send them on, although I now think it might look a bit lame with them on (was going for the budget RS4 look I guess smirk.gif ).

Already had two chav challenges. Just let them rev and spin off. Whatever. Race yourself, you muppets...

Sorry, pointless thread really. Posting away, all by myself... Just sharing my joy heart.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if your car made it into any motoring mags?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, dunno. As mentioned, I did see it online, accompanying a review. On a different note, I'm finding that Blue is a tricky colour to keep clean! Time to delve into the Cleaning forum methinks... Thanks again guys wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...