Buying a VW Beetle 2.0...

AvantSE

Wifey has seen a T-plate 2.0 Beetle (new shape ROLLEY~14.GIF) for sale and is after a test drive.

It is up at £3250 which I thought was cheap compared to some I had seen, though I must admit I hadn't looked at them very attentively as they don't really interest me.

Is this a good price, and what is there to look out for on these?

I have posted it here rather than the VW forum as it will hopefully draw more experiences.

Thanks, Chris.

Sorry - just seen this - so dunno if advise is too late.

Best resource for these is newbeetle.org.uk.

The car sounds pretty cheap - is it lhd as many of the old ones were?

The cars are great for a run around and can be made quite an entertaining drive for not much money. I have had 5 now - 2.0, 1.6, 1.8T and 1.9TDi - I wouldnt buy another with anythign other than the 1.8T, 1.9TDi or V5 engines, obviously these then require greater budget though. a 1.8T NB with a set of coilovers and remap will drive very well - feels better than MK4 golf and is pretty qick, many 1.8Ts have the K03s turbo so remaps get you 230 - 235bhp.

The 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0 lumps are gutless have poor economy and poorly mated with gearbox choice - so on a journey you see 70mph at something like 4k rpm which doesnt make for relaxed driving. My 1.6 average less around town than my 1.8t A4. If it is just a run around then it shouldnt be too much of an issue - but my 1.6 did 800 - 1000 miles per month and that was 4 tanks of fuel.

i was forced to have a 1.x one for work. In theory the golf underpinnings should mean it's a half-decent drive. In practice, no. I'm no scooby-type or one to criticise for lack of twisty-handling, but by Baal it was awful. Town, country, commute or motorway, even with upgraded seats, the ride was terrible, the handling terrible, the roll terrible, the gearbox terrible, the fuel economy terrible.

A fair few folks in the company had also driven it - there was a clean split between men and women. Men hated it (above reasons), women loved it because it was 'cute'. Mind you none of the men were lovers of 'cute' and none of the women were car enthusiasts (nearly said 'drivers' there oops)

The day i managed to send it back i stepped into a 5yo golf tdi with 80k miles, and suddenly i remembered why i liked driving again. Yes the beetle was so bad it drained any and all enjoyment from using it.

Fair play to VW for the retro look, but it's bmw who make the better retro drive.

Buy a 1.8 golf instead.

Although the wife is a female, obviously I would hope, she would be selling a Zetec-S Fiesta (known for its handling) and would probably notice the difference. She does drive quite a few miles (40 round trip each day) so I doubt it would be for her then.

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]

The Beetle is a better drive than the Golf, always seemed to handle better, but the engine / gearbox choice is so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mrs Mook had an early GT TDI when I had a new Bug way back when in 99, and the Bug handled far better than the Golf. Got to agree that the 2.0 Mk3 GTI engine was just duff, but I had to have one of the new Bugs when they first came out.

No, I still have no idea why to this day. It went after 18 months.

[ QUOTE ]

Hello Mr Khan, it's been a long time! smile.gif

Nick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Nick - what you driving now - Last i remember it was a Cruiser.

Edited to say - read your other post now 169144-ok.gif

You gotta admit though - good car or not the 2l is not fuel efficient or fast.

My last (well current NB No5) came from some right shady charactor sekret.gif down your way - hes registered on here but doesnt post much......

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hello Mr Khan, it's been a long time! smile.gif

Nick.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta admit though - good car or not the 2l is not fuel efficient or fast.

My last (well current NB No5) came from some right shady charactor sekret.gif down your way - hes registered on here but doesnt post much......

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I have a different view of fuel efficency these days, I can get 8mpg if I behave myself yelrotflmao.gif

Wonder who that is Hmmmm. Not been in NB circles for a while. Still hang about with Peelo though, I went to Bug Jam with him a couple of weeks ago. Wonder how many cars Col has been through since I last heard of him.

Yeah Mr Baker - got a new job title I see these days, sounds important.

I havent seen Col for ages - he was on here once in a while, but not seen him (well not a username I recognise) for a long time, I know he was having a tough time, so I guess he had more important stuff to do.