Poor BMW performance in the BTCC?

peterb

After watching the GP, I left the TV on for the BTCC at Donnington - what a lot of antics!

I was amazed, though, that when the safety car was out when half the circuit was wet, the BMW (the only rwd car in a field of fwd) couldn't even keep up with the snake behind the safety car. After the two green flag laps to the finish, the BMW was over a minute down! confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Why anyone would want a RWD car is beyond me ! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SAUER0421.GIF

03 RS6 Avant - Daytona Grey, Silver Leather/Alcantara.

RNS-E, PhatBox, RoadPilot, Nokia 610 phone and door opener.

05 MR2 SMT - Chilli Red, Black cloth, TomTom 700

02/03 A2 1.4TDi SE - Azure Blue, Light Grey Jacquard (the wife's)

[ QUOTE ]

Not watched it yet but a factory backed BMW was easily the winner in the past even with huge amount of ballast. In the Steve Soper / Winglehock days they did very well indeed. The BMW won the WTCC last year don't forget. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence why I'm so puzzled!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Why anyone would want a RWD car is beyond me ! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How about because FWD is sh1t? grin.giftongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I really prefer my MX-5 to any FWD or 4WD chassis I've driven.

Only FWD car I've liked from a fun handling point of view was the Puma.

(And no, I haven't driven a huge number of cars I know, but based on my experience I prefer RWD)

You've got to say though that the BTCC was more entertaining than the F1, especially the Craner curves in greasy conditions.

Great racing but some of the moves are extremely 'unorthodox'. I don't think Turkington should be allowed his win in race 3 as there was no way he was going to be able to stop for the chicane even with the bump from Giovanardi, he was just trying to straightline it and his post race comments to VBH pretty much confirmed that.

The BTCC should be a non contact sport, I can take swapping paint and door handles, but nudging people when braking is a big no-no in my book. Plato, Collard and Turkington take note please!

Champ Car also had a good race too at San Jose apparently, Justin Wilson had a good race and is now only 31 points behind Bourdrais. Also the punch up between Tracy and Tagliani was supposed to pretty funny to.

[ QUOTE ]

The BTCC should be a non contact sport, I can take swapping paint and door handles, but nudging people when braking is a big no-no in my book. Plato, Collard and Turkington take note please!

Champ Car also had a good race too at San Jose apparently, Justin Wilson had a good race and is now only 31 points behind Bourdrais. Also the punch up between Tracy and Tagliani was supposed to pretty funny to.

[/ QUOTE ]

The BTCC have regulation exemptions to driving standards for normal circuit racing, I think it's detailed in the MSA Blue Book that it allows them to run with altered rules, these of which obviously allow more contact than would normally be permitted...

...and that's all for the paying public!

I agree though, puts a bit of a mockery on the sport, they get away with too much, makes some new comers to racing think they can drive like days of thunder!