Touch-up suggestions?

THR32

Evening all,

What kind of success have you guys had with touching up (silver) VW paint? Just spotted (with much consternation!) that there is a bit missing on the side rubbing strip at the end of the driver's door... Not sure whether a standard touch-up will end up sticking out like a sore thumb and make me wish I hadn't bothered...

Any thoughts?

Thanks all

TH

[ QUOTE ]

Evening all,

What kind of success have you guys had with touching up (silver) VW paint? Just spotted (with much consternation!) that there is a bit missing on the side rubbing strip at the end of the driver's door... Not sure whether a standard touch-up will end up sticking out like a sore thumb and make me wish I hadn't bothered...

Any thoughts?

Thanks all

TH

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i had a big paint chip out of my tail gate near the handle which on enquiring could only be fixed by painting the whole tail gate at a hefty cost. So i went to my stealer and got some touch up paint and did the fix myself. Stand 2 foot away and you cant see any difference but close up its obvious ive touched it up and not a professional but considering the 3 figure cost to paint the whole thing ive put up with my bodge job !. 169144-ok.gif

post-9565-1379143694_thumb.jpg

If you decide to use a touch up you may want to consider using LANGKA Blob Eliminator. Not cheap but if used correctly will give you a superior finish rather than the filled in chip look which is uneven or blobby. The other secret is build up the layers slowly with small amounts of paint, don't expect to get a good finish in one coat. You can find all of LANGKAs products on their website - just type LANGKA into your search engine. I think Frost supply the Blob Eliminator product. The other option is to use someone like Chips Away and hope they can do a good job for you.

[ QUOTE ]

Not the best post title to use btw grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif

Thanks all for your suggestions - pretty much as I feared. Is it easy to get the rubbing strips off (thinking it may not be a huge amount to respray the whole thing if so...)?

Thanks

TH

I looked into getting a new rub strip sprayed and fitted, but the guy I spoke to advised that it'd need blended into the rear strip aswell so in the end I just touched in the minor chip out of the edge of it an lived with it. Really didn't bother me too much after that....

He also hinted that the rub strip can be a pain in the ass to remove.