tar removal help!!!

gypsyboy

Just had a look at my bottle. It says, "for metallic finishes, use T-Cut Metallic Colour restorer." So there you have it.

For something less harmful and more pleasant to use, try Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. Works great on bird dung.gif too!

Yup, normal T-Cut is absolutely fine, even on metallics.

A tiny ammount is all you need and the tar will come away no problem. Virtually no rubbing required.

Have had same problem recently with really fine tar streaks - must be hot weather.

T-cut and quick wash later, cars as good as new!

[ QUOTE ]

Tcut will do the job. I have never, ever known it to harm the paint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try T cutting a red car with a white cloth, and see just how much paint it removes. This is how T cut works. It removes the top (oxidised) layer of paint, revealing new paint underneath. Do it enough and you have no paint left.

If you use it on laquered cars you don't see the damage as the laquer is invisible. The damage is the same though.

Couldn't have said it better, Rustynuts. Who needs to try a red car? I remember using it on a white car (the tar shows up the most on those). There was white paint everywhere. It gave me quite a shock.

I would only use it as a last resort, and even then very sparingly.

You would have to use loads and rub very hard for ages to remove a true layer of paint.

If it had removed the laquer then wouldn't you get a dull area?

There are two approaches to using Tcut. The first is to just put some on a cloth and rub. The other is to dab some Tcut on and leave for a minute. You will then find the tar will come off easier and with hardly any pressure from the cloth. Which is worse for the paint its anybodies guess!

I've used Tcut on pretty much every car I have ever owned including the Passat. I've also used it on brand new cars that have been scratched and it hasn't left any marks or dull patches.

Id use it for scratches without hesitation, but its not ideal for tar removal. However I would imagine that most other products that could remove tar also wouldn't be much good for the paintwork. You could just scrape it off with your nail, but then you would probably have to polish the area afterwards.

You don't have to use loads, it's an abrasive cutting compound. It's function is to remove paint, not to polish or protect paintwork. Use it for restoring your paint, or before re painting perhaps (to remove any wax polish and oxidation) but don't use it to keep your car looking nice and shiny. All you do is thin the paintwork layer.

Wet and dry paper will remove tar spots aswell. I wouldn't use that method either. UHOH7.GIF

• 2 weeks later...