Oh dear - this is very tempting...

Mook

[ QUOTE ]

but the V6 growl would be missing and that counts for a lot !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. I absolutely love the sound of the R32 V6, but the A3 V6 sounds so dead in comparison, which is all down to the exhaust on it.

Having sorted out the Scirocco for the Scumball with a ludicrous (read "loud") exhaust, I've still got a hankering to get back to a 4 cylinder turbo. We'll probably get the 1.8T engine in the Scirocco before the S3 is actually available in the UK.

Take yourself out in a new Impreza WRX STI (about the same bhp as the new S3) and you'll soon change your mind - the thump of the turbo and the bigger torque by far makes up for the lack of V6 sound.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

but the V6 growl would be missing and that counts for a lot !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. I absolutely love the sound of the R32 V6, but the A3 V6 sounds so dead in comparison, which is all down to the exhaust on it.

Having sorted out the Scirocco for the Scumball with a ludicrous (read "loud") exhaust, I've still got a hankering to get back to a 4 cylinder turbo. We'll probably get the 1.8T engine in the Scirocco before the S3 is actually available in the UK.

Take yourself out in a new Impreza WRX STI (about the same bhp as the new S3) and you'll soon change your mind - the thump of the turbo and the bigger torque by far makes up for the lack of V6 sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right Mook. I wouldnt pass water over a Subaru im afraid, cant stand them. Fast they may be but have absolutely no class or soul im afraid (IMHO of course). My mates got a 3.2 A3 and you are right the exhaust sounds pretty pants to be honest. He bangs on about the fact his car is faster than mine due to having DSG and yes fractionally it is due to his "lazy" gearbox but i wouldnt swap cars for "love no money" ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yep - I want 6 pots; an Audi, and hence no rattles, would be nice but must have 6!!!! FIREdevil.gif

On the topic of "Quattro", this has never been firmly linked sekret.gif to Haldex or Torsen - it can mean either and you have to know the car, for those who care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi had Quattro way before they had the A3 and hence the Haldex set-up, so in reality Quattro meant Torsen, until the A3 came along!!

But back on topic, I really like this, but I need 5 doors !

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, the thump of the turbo is very aluring, it's just that these 'highly' tuned 4pot engines are gutless unless the turbo is spooling up to speed. Can be really annoying in the majority of situations. 169144-ok.gif

Thing is VAG are stepping away from highly tuned V6 is small transversed engine cars as the TFSi is lighter and more tunable (per cost) so it makes for a better handling car.

There's no denying the V6s' appeal, but its thirsty, heavy and requires more on the part of the engineers to develop the proper components for the chassis.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Really like the look of this new toy... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks good to me. It is in keeping with the "wolf in sheep's clothing" aspect of the previous S3s.

265bhp from a 2 litre with less weight than a 3.2 gets my vote too.

Would miss that V6 sound though...

I will definitely be test driving one once I have seen it in the flesh.

Can anyone photoshop the above pics to demonstrate what it would look like in Sprint or Nogaro Blue with RS4 alloys, please?

beerchug.gif

You'd better wait for Danno to come along with the Photoshop job on that one in sprint blue, but here's one with the RS4 alloys on it (posted in the now locked thread in General Cars courtesy of LeMan)

888672-audi_s3_uff_ams_01.jpg

888676-audi_s3_uff_ams_02.jpg

Bollox - I want to move over to the dark side even more now... ROLLEY~14.GIF

Hmmmm, and if you dig deep enough on the Audi UK site, you'll find the press release which contains, among other things...

• New A3 range performance flagship expected to open for UK ordering in early September – first UK customer deliveries scheduled for January 2007

• UK OTR price confirmed at £26,995

• Specially developed 2.0 Turbo FSI engine features alloy head, new turbo charger with enlarged turbine and compressor rotor and modified intercooler. 265PS at 6,000rpm, 350Nm from 2,500rpm to 5,000rpm

So that's 261 bhp and 258 lb/ft of torque straight out of the box - before AmD get hold of it... ROLLEY~14.GIF

• 0-62mph in 5.7 seconds, top speed limited to 155mph, combined mpg 25.7

• Six-speed manual gearbox with reduced shift travel, quattro four-wheel-drive

Interesting that they're not talking about a DSG option

• Sports suspension incorporating greater aluminium content and revised spring and damper settings, power steering settings modified for optimum feel and response

• Exclusive 18-inch alloy wheels and S quattro body styling with trademark aluminium-look door mirror surrounds, enhanced sports interior

Click here for the full press release

[ QUOTE ]

It really does need a fat Miltek, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fat Milltek with quad pipes I reckon - and that rear lower spoiler tweaked to incorporate a rear diffuser and you're almost there.

Oh feck, I feel 300+ bhp and at least 300 lb/ft of torque coming on without any problems once there's a full Milltek with cats and a remap...