Need New Tyres - Keep OEM or Swap?

Royston8

Not wishing to state the obvious, but I hope you are planning to replace all 4.

IIRC PS1s are not generally regarded as being that great, the PS2 (which I have) are fine in my experience although are a bit pricey.

I was thinking about getting some Falken FK451, but that may be going too cheap...

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about getting some Falken FK451, but that may be going too cheap...

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that one.

I once had Falken's on my Punto sporting - and they were, well, okay. The garage put them on and I was raging as I saw them as a distinct budget tyre.

Now, it seems that Falken are becoming more highly regarded, certainly the tuner / max power crowd seem to rate them - and I was just speaking to soemone who has fitted 20" of the above to his new Seat Leon FR.

Then, there is the fact that the American boys on the Vortex rate them - and I must admit - I'm curious...

And there are currently 8 available on the Falken website for £65 each grin.gif

Seriously though - I may be swayed thta way too - as I wasn't expecting to have to replace my brake discs at around the same time as the tyres. It's going to be an expensive autumn smashfreakB.gifgrin.gif

At that price, you can't go wrong. And I'm always inclined to accept an American (even more so if the tyres were on an R32 and the person is on the Vortex) review where tyres are concerned, as they are a lot less brand driven than us - and often have far harsher road conditions - and possibly a lot more rain too.

Go on, buy a set, and let me know how you get on before I make my final choice in a couple of months jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

At that price, you can't go wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way I would be putting cheap tyre on my car - And at that price they are probably very wrong - remember the tyre is the only bit connnecting you with the road( I know that is obvious but budget tyres on a performance car just dont go), so you want the very best possible tyre on there, especially on an R32. They will upset the handling, braking and tyre life.

In my view and I have driven lots of cars on differnt tyres, they make a massive difference - please do not budget on this area.

I would recommend Toyo Proxes - I have these and they are good wet or dry 169144-ok.gif

Why are you guys making my decision so difficult! confused.gif

Decisions, decisions, I think I'm going to look at the F1's or the Proxies, as I would rather spend the additional £30 per corner for the PS2's on refurbing the some of the scratches on the alloys.

So Proxie's or F1 it is then. smile.gif

I just paid £120 for 4 GSD3 F1's and they seem to be better than the sport contact2's that were on my gti before - seem a little driftier on the limit rather than just breaking away as harshly. Then again they only have about 200 miles on them (150 motorway) so far though. Defo prefer them so far. Pot hole noise is more though as i guess the sidewall is more rigid but normal road noise is less as can hear bluetooth now when doing the NSL.