Turbos for RHD MKV R32!!!

mlhj83

I sent Vagtech an email enquiring about products for the MKV and this is what was said:

Thanks for your enquiry

We are in the process of finalising our tuning program for the MK5 R32. We

have the same set of products available for the MK5 as the MK4 this

includes all the turbo programs.

Stay in touch for more details as they come though.

Regards

Jon

Jon Watts

VAGtech Ltd

Slight? I'm not sure whether 450+BHP is considered slight, but yes you do get warranty from vagtech but I'm unsure of how long the warranty is. Should be a year at least. Anyway, vagtech is a reputable vag tuning company and they have done quite a number of MK4 R32 turbos already, and one of the first to make a RHD MK4 R32 turbo.

Thank goodness, couldn't really tell that you were joking from text alone. I'm still wondering which to get, an MKV R32 or a CSL. On one hand you've got comfort and all weather performance, on the other you've got a legendary purist machine (aside from SMG). What should I do...hmm...

Yes, I think I'm more inclined towards the csl. Do you or anyone know whether you are able to get BMW to add stuff to the csl like xenons, single cd player or airconditioning if it does not come with it? And can you also ask them to take stuff off like rain sensors etc. Basically can you re-spec the car? Thanks.

Air can be added but will cost you big time i believe it has been done , not so sure about zenons but anything is poss if you throw enough mioney at it .

My advice would be to wait until the rght car comes allong there is not enought differential in the prices to make retro fittin gthe bits back on.

Keith

I've spoken at length with Jon at Vagtech and driven their TT, a 3.2 DSG with turbo installation putting out some 400bhp; i.e. same engine / drivetrain as the R32.

What can I say, stunning piece of kit with the extra power and torque making the DSG sublime. I've been assured that the DSG box / clutches can easily handle this amount of power+torque.

As I understand it (I've sure Jon will correct me here) this can be done in 2 stages, a new inlet manifold setup and remap to about 310bhp then the turbo on top. I'll be going for the manifold as soon as its available and then maybe the turbo later.

The (not so) amusing part is, for those who followed my adventures with the Milltek, the TT, running a straight through exhaust, was noise wise by far and away the more bearable car to be in. Maybe louder but no resonance.

Back to back comparison between the Vagtech TT and an R32 with Stage II upgrade.... the R32 felt like a total wet rag after, soft and soggy and massively underpowered.

Just in case anybody wonders, I've no association with Vagtech beyond the fact that their premises are on one of my favorite drives.

[ QUOTE ]

As I understand it (I've sure Jon will correct me here) this can be done in 2 stages, a new inlet manifold setup and remap to about 310bhp then the turbo on top. I'll be going for the manifold as soon as its available and then maybe the turbo later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I currently have the manifold on order from HPA and it's been sent so it should be arriving this week SMOKE6.GIF.... The manifold with my current setup wont produce the claimed 50-60bhp like it does on a bog standard R32.. (I'm not 100% convinced but we will see). They are expecting 30-45bhp on my car (approx 345-350bhp with the custom remap that the boys at Revo are going to have a go at) I will loose some torque but then again it hasn't been done with all my mods. I will let you know how it goes......

[ QUOTE ]

Hi DeckedR32, Pls correct me if I am wrong. But are you plaa

nning to put the HPA short run manifold onto your current setup which is NA ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is correct, I'm basically removing the long manifold that currently runs over the top on the engine.

If you look in the attached pic, it's the part that is below with HPA printed onto it. Forget all the tubes etc... The air intake come directly off it and a few of the other unnecessary pipes currently connected to the long manifold are blocked/removed. And the throttle bodies need to be changed. Other than that, I think that's it....

904074-beetle_1lap_perf%2520%281%29.jpg

post-4175-137914371683_thumb.jpg

I was driving a VR6 previously and I had the schrick variable manifold installed. It has a switchable flap that is operabled by the rpm that changes the short runners to long runners.

Isn't the short runner good for low rpm and produces good torque while the long runner is needed for high rpm ?? I thought that is needed for turbo engine as it is normally driven in the low-mid rpm and seldom need to be rev all the way. Won't you be losing out on the high end and you have invested so much in the high rpm with the cams and remap ??

I could be missing something here, but pls advise me if I am wrong as I am really puzzled.

They have advised me that i would loose some of the torque but I have spoken to one guy in OZ and he currently has this setup on his racing R32 with the same cams as me and rates it quite highly (Not an HPA manifold but similar) and he doesn't have any power figures frown.gif I'm prepaired to give it a go and see what happens. If it all goes down the drain i'll bolt the turbo on!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think I'm more inclined towards the csl. Do you or anyone know whether you are able to get BMW to add stuff to the csl like xenon's, single cd player or air conditioning if it does not come with it? And can you also ask them to take stuff off like rain sensors etc. Basically can you re-spec the car? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its very very expensive as far as im aware. YTou can find the car you want. Most come with aircon, xeons are a little harder to find, and I wouldn't bother to take anything off the car. It light enough trust, and will make little difference...

{quote]

I currently have the manifold on order from HPA and it's been sent so it should be arriving this week SMOKE6.GIF.... The manifold with my current setup wont produce the claimed 50-60bhp like it does on a bog standard R32.. (I'm not 100% convinced but we will see). They are expecting 30-45bhp on my car (approx 345-350bhp with the custom remap that the boys at Revo are going to have a go at) I will loose some torque but then again it hasn't been done with all my mods. I will let you know how it goes......

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be very interested in hearing how you get on, I'm hoping to get the manifold done asap.