Lexus SC 430...nice car oder?

Dr_Watson

Saw one early sitting next to me at the lights. Was silver, roof down, twin pipes, nice big alloys (chrome reflection).....looked the bollocks I must say.

Can get one with under 15k miles, 3 years old for £30000

Looks like a retirement car for me!

What do you think. This is the only pic I could find showing off a similar colour and alloys.

lexus_sc430_pace_car_2003_02_m.jpg

It is 'officially' the worst car in the world according to Top Gear.

I don't mind the look of them, but many reviews have said they do everything that they should do well...very badly. The engine isn't pokey enough, they handle like a bag of vomit, they're too wallowly to even cruise, the rear is even smaller than a 6-series, the leather is horrid quality and has silly 'real leather' tags on it - and the car has the feedback of a dog on a 5 mile lead.

Not good, not good at all.

By the way, James May came out with a fantastic quote about them.

He said something like "Everytime I see one I get the distinct impression the driver thinks they're God and that everyone is looking at them, idolising their vehicle. The truth of the matter is people are saying 'Good god, look at that idiot, he bought one of those'..."

He went on to say that if you bought a Vauxhall Frontera, you'd bought a better car than the SC430. yelrotflmao.gif

It's such a missed opportunity the SC430. Incredibly refined V8, bulletproof reliability, fairly acceptable looks for an 'old school' Lexus. But the package is just completely uninspiring. And whereas I can forgive the Japanese plastic wood in a luxury saloon like the LS, it looks sooooooo bad in the SC.

Classic example of a car designed for the US market and only imported to Europe as a bit of an afterthought.

Having said all that, if you want a convertible and don't give a toss about sporting dynamics... er, and your friends know feck all about cars... it is an awful lot of car for the money!

I think the engine's actually pretty damn good. Not particularly powerful for a 4.3 V8, but probably the most refined V8 out there.

If the rest of the car amounted to a reasonable package it'd suit it alot better. The thing is, it's not an easy concept for us Europeans to grasp - a 2+2 convertible that's not meant to be sporting. (Shame the ride means it ain't much of a wafting cruiser either...)

Stay well clear of this monstrosity!! Having previously owned 3 Lexii in various shapes and size this was always considered to be the "ginger haired stepchild" of the bunch, it wallows along, its heavy and the only decent thing it had going for it was the Mark Levinson sound system. Stay well clear Dr....

Overall they are crap (the car not the ginger haired stepchildren I might add)!!!

I had an extended drive of one of these a few years back, was considering one about the time we got the boxster.

It would be an excellent cruiser in Germany with nice smooth miles of tarmac. THats pretty much all positive I would give it. On out roads particuarly around MK its was dreasful, to be honest my 1.9 Beetle cab handles better, has better performance, more room and you can get 2 or 3 for the price of a used lexus giving the benefit of a few different colours.

It just wasnt a great car in any respect, hence the purchase of second Boxster.

As I said, incredibly refined. In anything remotely sporty it would need a voice. I even reckon they had to dub some engine noise into the mix for the LS on Spooks - it sounds pretty good on a couple of occasions... tongue.gif

I said it could do with being a bit more vocal to a Lexus salesman once. He sniffed, "Lexus don't do exhaust notes."