A8 ATF Replacement?

PsYcHe

Guys,

Looks like my ATF is needing done, had the thump for a bit, but the squeal appeared yesterday frown.gif

Does anyone know of a reputable garage in the Glasgow (or Fife) area that would do the job other than an Audi stealer?

If not, then I'll do it myself, just really not got time for it at the minute.

And are there any differences between the AudiWorld instructions and the DTD transmission on my 98 4.2?

[ QUOTE ]

...see if he can fit me in when I'm at the airport next week

[/ QUOTE ]

When he did mine it was an overnight job... but I can't remember why confused.gif

If you give him a bit of advance warning he'll probably be able to arrange someone to drop you off at the airport and pick you up again afterwards.

[ QUOTE ]

Might be a temperature issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, you're absolutely right Sneaky 169144-ok.gif... you're on a roll bowdown.gif

Just checked Audipages and he says coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The car must be at ambient (cool) temperature before filling the transmission! This requires the car to sit overnight to completely cool off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well she's booked in for next week, not the cheapest of jobs (about 320 quid all in?), but better than gubbing my transmission.

It'll be there for a couple of days as I'm doing an overnighter with work anyway, so they can do it at the proper temperatures and stuff.

And thanks for the welcome.. Seems to be one of the friendliest forums I've seen around.

Not had a chance to really test it out on a decent drive, but the few times I was up around 60, it did drop the revs when I lifted off, but when it re-engaged it certainly wasn't any where near as bad. Probably equivalent to bringing the clutch up a fraction fast in a manual.

Glad you got it sorted Psyche. 169144-ok.gif

Owen's one of the good guys! I took a C-class (don't, please don't!) to him once with an intermittant knocking from the tranmission tunnel. We went for a run and when he heard it said probably prop shaft and that it would be v expensive for the part from Merc. UHOH7.GIF He phoned me later to say it was just half an hour's labour - the problem had turned out to be a plastic label that was coming loose and sometimes flapping against the inside of the tunnel. smile.gif I can guarantee a stealer would have stung me for a full prop-shaft whether it was needed or not openfire.gif

No, not my 8 in there just now. Mine's a boring silver one!

Took the 8 out for a half-decent run along a dual carriageway this morning, did quite a few lift-offs at 50-60 or so, uphill, downhill and on the flat.

It still drops out and back in (I assume this bit is normal?), but there is no thump from the box anymore, shifts are smoother, though it does seem to want to go into 4th a little earlier than I'd like, but that's probably just me being picky smile.gif

And 8's ain't boring in silver, mine is too wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well..

Now that she's bedded in (about 1000 miles since service), it's not quite so smooth anymore.

Instead of a 'thump' 8 times out of 10, I get a 'bump' 1 time out of 10 or so. Kind of more like not being so smooth with the clutch rather than a bug thump like before and usually just if I lift off after some hard acceleration.

Sorry to hear that Psyche. I have noticed that mine's slowly getting a bit bumpier, but it's not got as bad as quickly as yours.

Someone here mentioned previously that it might be worth replacing the just fluid again at the next service after the full fluid+strainer change. I think the theory was that there will still be residues of crap in the box that will have been picked up in the new fluid after the first change and although these will not be enough to clog the filter they may be affecting performance to some extent. confused.gif

Anyone any further thoughts/experiences?

I'll see how she goes until the next service (only 8k away now). It doesn't seem to be getting any worse and only seems to bump (rather than thump) if I've accellerated a bit just before lifting off and the bump band is narrower (55-65) and it's still maybe only 1 or two times in 10 at that.